Re: Forms and auto-population - Help please!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Forms and auto-population - Help please!

I've shared a landing page with a registration form to partners of ours for an event.

When they access the landing page, the form is already auto-populated with another persons details (no relation at all to the person accessing it).

Can anyone offer advice as to how to stop the auto-population?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

Did you share it by sending them an email? If so, the token was probably attached and it's associating them with that lead.

By Email, I mean Marketo Email.  Did you send them an email that you sent to yourself or that was sent to someone else?

Robb Barrett
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Field auto-population (Prefill, to use the Marketo term) is only going to happen for a first visit to a link if you sent out a link with the mkt_tok query param.  Don't do this!

But if the partner is going to be filling in a variety of other people's information on this form, even if you turn off Prefill you are going to have confusion.  It sounds like you need to create a referral form -- search the Community for the many tricks we've contributed to make a reusable referral form possible.

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

Let me translate Sanford to English for you:

Go to the form, click on each field, and on the bottom, right column you'll see "Form Prefill". Change to "Disabled". From there, you'll want to have a workflow that shoots out an email to the person entered and asks them to click a link. That will now associate the lead with that record so when they come back it'll be prefilled for them.

Robb Barrett
SanfordWhiteman

But that's not enough, Robb.  From the sound of "partner form" this form also needs to have lead association disabled so that form fillouts -- and all past and future web activities -- are not continually (re)associated with referral info entered by the partner.

In other words, a referral form.

Otherwise, there's no particular reason to turn off Prefill.  The only way that info would have been Prefilled on a new browser is if the link had a mkt_tok.  That's not a link you should ever send around.

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

But it's so easy to send it, especially if you haven't learned the hard way.  That's why I submitted this idea:

If you're talking about creating a Referral Offer, not everyone has that module.

Disable Prefill for a Form Field - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

Robb Barrett
SanfordWhiteman

But it's so easy to send it, especially if you haven't learned the hard way.

But Sarah might have sent a mkt_tok-enized link copied-and-pasted from her browser. It isn't clear that there was a Marketo email involved at all.  If she sent a Marketo email to partners to announce a URL, your Idea would be a huge help.

I'm not talking about Referral Offers, I'm talking about a Referral Form, which applies to any Marketo subscription with forms support.  It's a pattern we've discussed at length in past Community posts -- there's a blog entry on it out there with one Marketo-approved approach -- the goal being to disable lead (re)association by temporarily removing the Munchkin cookie during form submission. Disabling Prefill is another ingredient, but a secondary one.

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Sarah,

Is the intent of the landing page is that the partners should fill out these forms multiple times in order to register multiple persons, you should use an untracked LP

For the moment, this will require some minimum coding: Non-trackable landing page is still identifying me

There is also an idea to vote for:

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for your help. As a new Marketo user, I am definitely still learning! I have cleared my cookies and that has seemed to solve the problem.

But I really appreciate all the links and will definitely be using them to build untracked landing page for referrals.

Many thanks,

Sarah