SOLVED

Re: Form - multiple selections with fields hidden

Go to solution
Travis_Schwartz
Level 4

@SanfordWhiteman

So I feel lIke I'm super close and there are just some minor things I would like to clean up to wrap this up.

Here is what my form looks like right now in web personalization:

Screen Shot 2023-03-23 at 2.25.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-23 at 2.25.18 PM.png

What I would like to do is

1.  Make the APPLY button not visible (not just greyed out) till the "Let's get started" button is selected. I tried using the

Conditionally show/disable/hide the Submit button on Marketo forms 

method, but can't figure out how to hide it completely.

2. I was trying to use visibility rules to hide the two buttons when active = true, but it wasn't working. I'm assuming I need to use JS to accomplish this—I just don't know what to do.

3. I would like the "I'm not ready" button to close the form—have not been able to figure that one out either.

I added your email address from the form fill you did to a segment, so you should quality to see the form if you go here

Travis_Schwartz
Level 4

I got it to hide the submit button, but now I can't get it to show on active = true:

https://codepen.io/tschwartz-arrowhead/pen/WNgWwRE

My guess is that it has to do with the order of the functions in the JS... I'm not just sure if that's the case, and what to do to fix it.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Please restore the copyright. That’s not optional.

If you want the button click to trigger a change event, you have to do that manually — it’s not intrinsically changing any form inputs, so the browser won’t fire change. See Line 10 of the JS at https://codepen.io/figureone/pen/WNgWGeV/e5a6c341bbf5327201f69dc1291636cc?editors=1010.

This CSS selector isn’t doing anything because you aren’t running the TagWrappers script:

.mktoButtonRow, .mktoFormRow[data-wrapper-for="__showSubmit"] .mktoPlaceholder, .mktoFormRow[data-wrapper-for="__showSubmit"] .mktoFormCol

In your current scenario, you don’t need TagWrappers. You can style based on the data-form-submittable attribute on the form element.

Travis_Schwartz
Level 4

I have the copyright in the production setting. I added to the codepen as well: https://codepen.io/tschwartz-arrowhead/pen/WNgWwRE

I'm not sure what I was doing with that line 10. I've gone back to the drawing board on this.

I started with updating the CSS on the form to be: 

.mktoForm[data-form-submittable="false"] .mktoButtonRow {
  display: none;
}

I've updated the JS to be:

MktoForms2.whenReady(function (readyForm) {
   const formEl = readyForm.getFormElem()[0],
      buttonEl = formEl.querySelector("#toggleVR");

buttonEl.addEventListener("click", function (e) {
      readyForm.setValues({
         active: readyForm.getValues().active === "true" ? "false" : "true"
      });
   });
});
/**
 * Visibility rules for submit buttons on Marketo forms
 * @author Sanford Whiteman
 * @version v2.0.0 2022-09-24
 * @copyright © 2022 Sanford Whiteman
 * @license Hippocratic 3.0: This license must appear with all reproductions of this software.
 */
MktoForms2.whenReady(function(mktoForm) {
   const submitButtonVRs = {
         hideButtonIf : {
             "active" : ["false"]
         },
         dontDisableButton: false,
         dontDisableMktoForm: false
   };

/* NO NEED TO TOUCH BELOW THIS LINE */

let formEl = mktoForm.getFormElem()[0],
       submitRow = formEl.querySelector(".mktoButtonRow"),
       submitButton = submitRow.querySelector(".mktoButton");

function manageSubmitButtonInteraction(e){
      let currentValues = mktoForm.getValues();

let matchableAgnostic,
          matched;

matchableAgnostic = submitButtonVRs.hideButtonIf || submitButtonVRs.showButtonIf;
      matched = Object.keys(matchableAgnostic).some(function(fieldName){
         return matchableAgnostic[fieldName].some(function(fieldValue){
            return currentValues[fieldName] === fieldValue;
         });
      });

let showButton;      

showButton = typeof submitButtonVRs.hideButtonIf == "object" ? !matched : matched;

formEl.setAttribute("data-form-submittable", String(showButton));
      if(!submitButtonVRs.dontDisableButton){
        submitButton.disabled = !showButton;
      }
      if(!submitButtonVRs.dontDisableMktoForm){
         mktoForm.submittable(showButton);
      }

}

manageSubmitButtonInteraction();
   formEl.addEventListener("change", manageSubmitButtonInteraction);
 });

and I'm back to getting the button to be greyed out/disabled until they click by button to change active to true (it actually requires the first field to be filled out actually... but that is fine). 

Am I missing something to make the button hidden completely till the trigger (hidden field "active" = true) is activated? The default value of active is false, so I would imagine by default it should be hidden.

SanfordWhiteman

I was pointing to L10 of my code on the new CodePen.

Travis_Schwartz
Level 4

ah... I apologize for the misunderstanding—I didn't look closely enough to realize it was different.

Do I need to tell it what change I want it to make, or is it saying "a change happened in this constraint and we want to make that change fire"? Because even adding it isn't hiding the button. 

I guess what is tripping me up is that before adding that code, the script for the eventListener was changing the value enough for it to recognize and display the dependent values in the form—why wouldn't it do the same with the button if I'm saying the button visibility is dependent on that eventListener? Also, the default value of it is false, so if it's looking for the value to = true before displaying, why is it showing it on default? I would understand the change not registering after the eventListener making it true... but why isn't it saying "active = false so I'm hiding the submit button"?

I know I had said I wanted it to be visible on that button click, but that isn't a requirement. it just needs to be hidden till the hidden field (active) triggers the visibility of the other dependent fields. I assumed the button would be the easiest option, but that's not a requirement if there is another or more simple option.

SanfordWhiteman

2. is this java script code living in a rich text field on the form or on the page where the form exists?

While it’s possible to put JS inside a Rich Text (I have a blog post about it) it’s not recommended. You should put it in a separate script tag after the embed code.

3. how do I assign the element ID? is that in the CSS editing section of the form editor?

Not sure what you mean by this or where IDs come into play.