Re: Form fill - Wrong Data

Anonymous
Not applicable

Form fill - Wrong Data

Has anyone else ever had a situation where a user clicks a link in their email, and the form they see has someone else's information?  It just happened to one of my contacts, and has happened 3-4 times in the past.  I have never really gotten a straight answer on what would cause this to happen.  Has anyone had the issue and did Marketo give you a reasonable answer?

Thanks
Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Jason,

There are several threads on this. Usually it has to do with a forwarded email. The user clicks on someone else's tokened link and gets the wrong prefill.

Cookie errors could cause this too. There are some other reasons, so check the other threads.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with Josh.

The fact users have found pre-populated information from another lead is primarily because they clicked on a link that contained a Marketo tracking code or because they filled out a form using the same browser used by the original lead. That can happen at event kiosks or just a comouter that was shared at some point. It is important to highlight there is nothing wrong on their part. That is just the way cookies work.

It is legitimate to mention they never filled out a form or clicked a link in an email that was forwarded to them. However, there are occasions when some lead posts the link on a blog or twitter and another user clicks on the link and then sees the pre-populated data. Note that any link that is clicked anywhere on the internet could contain the tracking information. So, they had the cookie even though they never clicked on any email link at all, forwarded or received directly.

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Just like Breno and Josh explained, I've also had sales people copy/paste a link from an email that they received for a prospect to attend an event or download some content. We wrote an email to our team explaining the differences between the types of links that they might encounter, and what they can and cannot share.
Trish_Voskovitc
Level 5

also someone might fill out a form for someone else from their computer  so when they get another form tht other person's info aut fills (we see when someone registers colleagues for a webinar for example)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm. We are also experiencing this issue, with the following differences:

1. Only happens in IE
2. Happens even if ALL cookies are cleared AND you enter the URL directly.

Ideas?

Ben