SOLVED

Re: Form Field Creation - Data Collection

Go to solution
kleblanc71
Level 2

Form Field Creation - Data Collection

Hi, I am in the process of creating a form to embed in a marketo landing page. I am trying to configure the field to collect the choice data in their person object. 

In admin I created a new field, BOOLEAN type, for "Interest Type". In the form creation, I have provided 3 choices, and created 3 stored value types in the advanced editor. Example:
What are you interested in?
() Alpha 
() Beta
() Don't Know

Field stored value is set up as:
Alpha|A
Beta|B
Don't know|DK

Because booleans are true/false, it doesn't bring in the assigned stored value into the field, in fact it doesn't register a "click" at all in the person's data. How can I create a checklist field that will bring in the value into their data. It seems like a simple thing I'm missing here. Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Christiane_Rode
Level 7 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Boolean fields are exactly as you said -- true/false. And in your example, you have three options, so boolean isn't going to work. 

Assuming your field is one field (and not three boolean fields for each of your answers), is there a reason your field isn't set to be a string? Then, in your smart list filters, you'd reference the stored values instead of True/False.

More information on field types.

View solution in original post

kleblanc71
Level 2

Ah that's it! I can set the field type to be a String, and then in the form set up choose field type "radio buttons" and it allows the choice and brings the values into the record. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction @Christiane_Rode !!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Christiane_Rode
Level 7 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Boolean fields are exactly as you said -- true/false. And in your example, you have three options, so boolean isn't going to work. 

Assuming your field is one field (and not three boolean fields for each of your answers), is there a reason your field isn't set to be a string? Then, in your smart list filters, you'd reference the stored values instead of True/False.

More information on field types.

kleblanc71
Level 2

Hmmm I was under the impression that a string would mean the prospect would have to fill out the choice/answer. Is it possible to use a string and still have it be a checkmark choice? This is the requested format, and the choice will send them through the appropriate campaigns:

kleblanc71_0-1709046130376.png

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Hmmm I was under the impression that a string would mean the prospect would have to fill out the choice/answer.

Not at all. You’re conflating the database field datatype (or, roughly speaking, column type) and the form field input state. They can be set independently.

For example, a String database field can be added to a form as a Checkbox form field. In this case the form will send string values “yes” or “no” to Marketo. The database field could hold other values since it’s a general String, but the form will only send those 2 values.

Similarly, a String database field can be added to a form as a Radio form field. Then the form will only send one of the server values to Marketo. Outside of the form, other values could be set.

Not all combinations of database types and form field types make sense or will be be processed in a useful way, but nothing stops you from making that combo.

kleblanc71
Level 2

Ah that's it! I can set the field type to be a String, and then in the form set up choose field type "radio buttons" and it allows the choice and brings the values into the record. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction @Christiane_Rode !!