SOLVED

Finding Contacts that Have Opened One Specific Email

Go to solution
wbwhitley
Level 1

Finding Contacts that Have Opened One Specific Email

I've imported a list into Marketo that was used for one particular "terms and conditions" type email. A large portion of this list are non-marketable contacts. However, there are some contacts that are on this list that are involved in other campaigns I'm running. I can't figure out how to run a smart list to find the following:

Member of List: List is A

Has only been sent Terms and Conditions Email

The filters I'm running seem to be showing me who's on the list and was sent the email. But that isn't meaning they couldn't have received others. Hope this is making sense and that there's an expert out there!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Katja_Keesom
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Re: Finding Contacts that Have Opened One Specific Email

I think you need to very closely review your criteria, as you are both talking about opening an email and even being sent one. Assuming you are doing proper housekeeping in your programs when it comes to program status updates, I would add a filter for Member of Program is false where program is not the one you are looking for. Please do bear in mind that activities like Send / Open email are only kept for 90 days, so any emails having been sent longer ago cannot be monitored by looking at the activities themselves.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Darshil_Shah1

Along with the activity filter (e.g., if you're reporting on opens for a specific email, its activity filter would be Opened Email, Email is <email-name>), why don't you also add its corresponding inactivity filter (for opens, it'd be Not Opened Email) with email is not "<email-name>" constraint in an AND operation? I think that should do the trick.

Darshil_Shah1_0-1673558554983.png

If you want to see people who were just sent a particular email (remember opens and sent are different email activities in Marketo), you can use the Was Sent Email, and Not Was Sent Email filters in a similar configuration.

While you're pulling data for your requirement, I'd like you to be aware of Marketo's data retention policy per which high-volume activities (email sends, delivered, etc.) are purged after a period of 90 days from the date of the activity and low-volume activities (email opens, email clicks, form fills) are purged after a period of 25 months from the date of activity from the lead activity log.

Katja_Keesom

I think you need to very closely review your criteria, as you are both talking about opening an email and even being sent one. Assuming you are doing proper housekeeping in your programs when it comes to program status updates, I would add a filter for Member of Program is false where program is not the one you are looking for. Please do bear in mind that activities like Send / Open email are only kept for 90 days, so any emails having been sent longer ago cannot be monitored by looking at the activities themselves.

Darshil_Shah1

I agree with Katja! Given that you're following the proper practice of updating program statuses for people, you should use the Member of Program filter over the email engagement filters as the former is retained for a period of 25 months from the day of activity, unlike the email send/delivered activities which are retained for a period of 90 days from the day of activity.

Katja_Keesom

Quick correction: Program membership is not based on an activity, so is not even bound to the 25 months.

Darshil_Shah1

Thank you, Katja! I must have got it confused with the Member of Smart Campaign filter, which is only able to reference a person's membership in the campaign for up to 25 months.

wbwhitley
Level 1

Thank you both! It would appear that both responses helped. We should be using Program data more than we have been, but also we should use both an Activity filter and Non-Activity filter that corresponds. That did the trick! Much appreciated.

Darshil_Shah1

Glad to hear that! You’re very welcome.