SOLVED

Re: Fill My Tokens in an email with a CSV upload

Go to solution
Mx_Braze
Level 1

Fill My Tokens in an email with a CSV upload

I've got some emails I send regularly that take a lot of time to set up. Simply put, each email is a list of 10 Headline/paragraph combos and each week, I have to copy and paste this text from a new spreadsheet into the headlines and paragraphs. What I would like to do is automate this process using tokens or something similar.

Ideally, I'd like to take a CSV which contains the headlines and paragraphs, upload that to Marketo, and then have it autofill an email template that has a token for each headline and paragraph. I've been looking at the documentation on tokens and I can't find anything like what I'm describing. Does anybody know of a way to do something like what I'm describing here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

CSV, no. But JSON, sure! You can populate a Velocity {{my.token}} with a JSON array* of your content, parse it using another Velocity token, and output it anywhere you want.

Alternately, and this is a stretch, you could use a shared Custom Object which would allow you to use a CSV to update it. However, this would require you to create junction objects for every newly created lead. Wouldn't be my move.

*ArrayList, technically

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman

CSV, no. But JSON, sure! You can populate a Velocity {{my.token}} with a JSON array* of your content, parse it using another Velocity token, and output it anywhere you want.

Alternately, and this is a stretch, you could use a shared Custom Object which would allow you to use a CSV to update it. However, this would require you to create junction objects for every newly created lead. Wouldn't be my move.

*ArrayList, technically

Mx_Braze
Level 1

Thanks for the reply. I'm assuming I would need access to an API to send that JSON array to Marketo right? I don't currently have access to something like that. I'm hoping to find a solution that can just be done from within the Marketo interface without having to pipe data in via another mechanism like an API.

SanfordWhiteman

I'm assuming I would need access to an API to send that JSON array to Marketo right?

Not at all. In fact, it’s impossible to do via API. You do it right in Script Editor.

Mx_Braze
Level 1

Ha! Shows how much I've got to learn about Marketo. Time for me to go read up on the script editor and such.

Cheers!