Fake clicks followed by fake web visits

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Fake clicks followed by fake web visits

Right, that's what I meant by another interactive action.

If the only thing they do is click an email link, and then close the page, there's nothing to distinguish that session. If they perform a second interaction then you retroactively know the previous link was an interaction and can reissue it in a special way that can be tracked, as in the screenshot above.

But it's been years since I've encouraged a one-click anything, a second confirmation click is always recommended. Requesting a callback especially... since otherwise it can turn into a cold call and make both sides unhappy!

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Sandy, I suppose your "direct download links" approach - which is what we use to directly link to PDF files (and cookie users) in an email - has no way of distinguishing a bot from an actual user?

http://blog.teknkl.com/stop-using-direct-download-links-unless-you-like-losing-tracking/

SanfordWhiteman

Not if there's not also a for confirmation.

Amy_Vosko
Level 1

I just had a convo with Marketo about this, as I was marking success and alerting my sales team based on the click, and totally losing credit, as the person who "clicked" turned out to no longer be at the company.

Here is what they said. 1st thing to check: "email opens" event only fire if you download all the images in the email. So check that you have indeed downloaded these images. You can open the email without the images and Marketo (like any other emailing solution) will not register the open event, but will indeed register the click, since the click is routed through the click detection server.

SanfordWhiteman

1st thing to check: "email opens" event only fire if you download all the images in the email. So check that you have indeed downloaded these images. You can open the email without the images and Marketo (like any other emailing solution) will not register the open event, but will indeed register the click, since the click is routed through the click detection server.

While this statement is true, it isn't material to any kind of solution. Not sure what you're suggesting here... the lack of an open doesn't mean the lack of a human.

Charlotte_Taft
Level 1

Has anyone here found a solution? I know this thread is ageing. We are running into the same issue - our marketo clicks and GA visits are super inflated.