SOLVED

Failed to Merge Leads

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Failed to Merge Leads

I have been trying to merge leads in Marketo. Sometimes I get the alert that it has failed to merge the leads with the ID number of one of the leads after it. Why is this occurring and how can I effectively merge the leads?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Andy_Varshneya1
Level 9

Re: Failed to Merge Leads

Hi Laura,

As a few people have mentioned already (and you seem to have figured this out), this is fairly common because of a few issues - the "winning" field data is not in the correct format as the field type, or the merge is across SFDC objects.

You would be best off using a tool like RingLead or my personal favorite, Demandtools, which allow you to set your own definitions for what is considered a duplicate so that you have the flexibility to work off more than just the email address field. We ended up cleaning up an additional 5% of our database by being able to come up with our own rules for how to identify dupes.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

it's likely because SFDC doesn't give Marketo the right permissions for those records. You are better off using RingLead or LeanData to automate this stuff.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Other times it can be because the data you want to 'win' isn't in the right format for SFDC. Merging leads in Marketo is best for a few items, but if you really want to streamline I'd suggest doing it with those tools, or leveraging a tool from SFDC; Marketo will automatically see the winning result and see the merge.

Caryl_Mostacho
Level 7 - Champion Alumni

Hi Laura Sparks

Have you tried logging a case with Marketo Support to help troubleshoot your failed merges?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Carly,

I got it figured out. It was an issue of duplicate records and it was trying to merge a lead and a contact.

Ramon_Vawda
Level 1

Hi Laura,

Did you solve the issue, or work around it?

If I refer to this article, it notes that merging leads and contacts will cause an error if the Marketo sync user doesn't have the Convert Leads permission. To me that suggests that Leads and Contacts *can* be merged if that permission is set.

Understanding Merges in Marketo

Otherwise the article is incorrect. Trying to figure out the truth.

Nina_Valtcheva5
Level 5

Hi Laura,

I've seen the same issue if we try to merge a Lead and Contact record, as you figured out. I believe the Lead would first have to be converted to a Contact in SFDC in order for the merge to work.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Laura,

Same discussion here : What does this merge leads error mean?

-Greg

Alok_Ramsisaria
Level 10

Thanks Greg for sharing this.

Andy_Varshneya1
Level 9

Hi Laura,

As a few people have mentioned already (and you seem to have figured this out), this is fairly common because of a few issues - the "winning" field data is not in the correct format as the field type, or the merge is across SFDC objects.

You would be best off using a tool like RingLead or my personal favorite, Demandtools, which allow you to set your own definitions for what is considered a duplicate so that you have the flexibility to work off more than just the email address field. We ended up cleaning up an additional 5% of our database by being able to come up with our own rules for how to identify dupes.