Re: Extracting First Name and Last Name from Full Name

Anonymous
Not applicable

Extracting First Name and Last Name from Full Name

Hi

Is it possible to extract first and last name from Full name?

Our website form (connected to CRM) is an external form with Contact name field for the first and last name sync the contact name to last name field in salesforce so rep has to go in SFDC and change the name to first and last name manually. Now we have embedded form for newsletter sign up(MKTO embedded form) on the 4th step of the website form filled.

So the problem is when the rep changes the name manually to first and last name then if the contact checkbox the newsletter sign up or sign up for newsletter from the website homepage( Newsletter Subscription ) then marketo sync change the first name and last name back to last name.

I hope I am able to explain the issue. Is there any trigger or any flowstep I can write so that Marketo syc not able to change the salesforce first and last name?

Thanks,

Vipula

Tags (2)
3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Did you search the Community? This has been discussed numerous times. Bottom line is there's no way to extract first and last names from full names with 100% accuracy (this is a human factor, not a technical factor).

You also seem to be asking 2 contrasting things: (1) can you block Marketo from syncing its values back to SFDC (yes, you can use SFDC permissions if you insist) or (2) can you extract to first and last (see above).

Overall this seems like a really bad data design and I would change it before trying to work around it. You need to use the same data entry/extraction process on both sides (and hopefully don't do any "extraction" at all, either use both First and Last from the start or stick with using Last Name only and never populate First Name, ever).

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with you. I am working with IT to change the entry information which is the ideal but in the meantime because of this issue rep has to change the information on first and last name again and again.

Can I use change data step in newsletter program in MKTO?

pastedImage_1.png

Flow-

pastedImage_2.png

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You can concatenate strings in a Change Data Value step.You can't split strings in a ​CDV, though. You'd have to use a webhook.