Re: Embedding Video on Landing Page hosted on Vimeo

Tom_Kerlin2
Level 8

Embedding Video on Landing Page hosted on Vimeo

Hi all,

We'd like to embed a video on our landing page that's hosted on Vimeo (In the past we've only been using YouTube out-of-the-box drag and drop feature). Please see questions below.

1.) Are videos hosted on Vimeo just as easy to track on Marketo landing pages as YouTube videos are? Are there any differences or things to consider?

2.) Can someone post an example snippet of code they've used to embed the video?

Any helpful articles or documentation you can point to would help as well!

Thanks!

Tom

Tom Kerlin
9 REPLIES 9
Tom_Kerlin2
Level 8

I forgot to ask this too but it's more of a side question...

We wanted to keep video from being public (searchable), is it possible to "hide" the video on Vimeo?

Tom Kerlin
Anonymous
Not applicable

If Vimeo has a hide feature it can be set as you normally would

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can create a video in Marketo by right clicking the program you want to add it to and selecting new local asset.  Then select video.  Once in that wizard imply enter the url of the video you want to embed in the landing page.

This will be tracked by marketo

Tom_Kerlin2
Level 8

I can only select YouTube Video in my instance, but I was able to embed video on the landing page. Still not sure if this is tracked by Marketo however. Is there a snippet of code you can use to track?

Tom Kerlin
Anonymous
Not applicable

Typically, there is an embed code associated with each video, when you create it as a seperate entity in Marketo.  Did you try placing the Vimeo url in the video url area?

Kent_Brubaker1
Level 1

Vimeo url does not work with the YouTube Video asset. Has to be a YouTube url. I too would be interested in getting Vimeo video tracking in Marketo.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tom Kerlin, did you have any luck with embedded Vimeo videos and successfully using the Vimeo API to track viewing activity in Marketo?

This is something I'm trying to achieve and I was successful with YouTube, but wondering if you had an example of the Vimeo API in use on a Marketo page?

Thanks,

mieke

Casey_Grimes
Level 10

Hi Mieke,

For the Vimeo API, the setup isn't too terribly different than setting up tracking for YouTube—you'll need to know a bit of JavaScript and when to trigger the appropriate Munchkin faux-URL (or setup for recording as a Marketo custom activity), but otherwise the process is nearly identical. I will note that when using player.js​ it can be a little tricky to calculate percentages watched (since you'll need to manually write out a way to calculate getCurrentTime over getDuration, and getCurrentTime fires every 250ms.) It's deprecated, but the Froogaloop2 library can make things easier on that front. However, I have no idea how long Froogaloop2 will be supported.

Tom_Kerlin2
Level 8

Hi Mieke,

Unfortunately I was not able to set up the Vimeo API - I just copied and pasted the embed code. However, I was able to set up a manual integration between YouTube and Marketo that allowed me to track known leads by referencing this article: Updated: Tracking Embedded YouTube and Wistia Videos in Marketo – Jeff Shearer  (Jeff Shearer​ )

Tom Kerlin