Emails Going to Junk / Spam Folders

Anonymous
Not applicable

Emails Going to Junk / Spam Folders

Today, several of our employees received an email we sent to their Junk folders in Outlook.  This has never occured before for us (to our knowledge).  Upon further testing, I discovered the email also went to Gmail and AOL spam folders.  Does Marketo have any built in Spam detection tools or any external tools (IE. Return Path) that can be used to detect potential spam emails before they are sent AND/ OR to monitor delivery? 
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Emails Going to Junk / Spam Folders

Hi Lauren -

When did you deploy Marketo? Did you confirm your SPF and DKIM were set up correcly? Here is the article you will need to set those up

I would start there, check with your IT team and Marketo support to test. You can also have your IT team whitelist your Marketo IP - which will help your emails reach more internal inboxes.

With gmail, are the emails going to spam, or are they going into various tabs, like promotions? Here is a helpful discussion on that.

Hope this helps!

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Also see my documentation on managing email reputation.

You can reduce spam folder catches, but not eliminate them.
http://www.slideshare.net/jdavidhill/marketo-email-reputation-management
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a report that shows how many emails end up in Junk Mail?  How does Marketo track that?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

It's not possible to find out how many emails are sitting in people's spam quarantines/folders.  The definition of this anti-spam feature is that it operates silently after delivery (without informing the sending server). To Marketo, it looks like a successful delivery, just as it would if you sent mail through your corporate mailserver and it went to the recipient's spam folder.