Emails Bouncing Due to badmailfrom list

Anonymous
Not applicable

Emails Bouncing Due to badmailfrom list

Hello all,

We've recently begin working with a dedicated IP address and are in the process of warming. Yesterday we send a small email blast to some franchisees (about 200), and a husband and wife both bounced back with:

• 553 sorry, your envelope sender is in my badmailfrom list (#5.7.1)

The duo are the only two who have come back to this send with this error - our franchisees are all authorized to use servers unique to their markets, so we are not system administrators for them. I've checked in our settings in Marketo and our domain is fully verified, so I'm fairly sure the error is nothing on our end, though if I'm wrong, someone please set me straight!

From previous experience, I believe the issue that this is bouncing back is a problem with our domain blocked on their end, however we've had no problems with previous email communication with them (both from our mail client and from other services like MailChimp). Specifically, I think the error is that they are blocking the actual from sender, which is the President over their region.

We're still looking to get buy in from the system on Marketo, so I wanted to see if anyone had previous experience with going back to recipients on this error.

4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Emails Bouncing Due to badmailfrom list

Unless you're using a branded MAIL FROM (a.k.a. SMTP envelope sender) then the envelope sender is @ *.mktomail.com.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, we are using a branded from. That's mainly where my question is coming from on this.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

So they have you on a local blacklist... that's their prerogative! (That's assuming the error is not purposely misleading... nothing obligates a recipient to give you the details behind a 5xx if they think you may use the info to circumvent their anti-abuse setup.)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Really feeling the love from our franchisees then!!

Thanks for the help, Sanford! I appreciate it!