Attention: The Marketo Community will undergo scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, August 20th between 10-11 PM PDT. During this time, the Community and its content will not be accessible. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

SOLVED

Email Validation Error when adding velocity token for Opportunity field data

Go to solution
Adam_Mokrzecki1
Level 2

Email Validation Error when adding velocity token for Opportunity field data

Hi Community!

I'm hoping someone could help me with an issue I'm having with a velocity script token. After I add the token to an email, I receive an error when I try to approve.

Adam_Mokrzecki1_0-1631198033457.png

Here's the code I've set up:

#set ($string = "$OpportunityList.get(0).Document_Links__c" )
#set ($output = $string.split('\n'))

#set ($docLa = "$output[0]" )
#set ($docLb = "$output[1]" )

The variables are then used in separate script tokens and added to the email to display the output data. 

{{my.doclink-url-1}}

Adam_Mokrzecki1_1-1631198174603.png

In the Email:

<a href="{{my.doclink-url-1}}" style="font-weight: bold;">{{my.Dynamic-DisplayBrandNameA}} Regular Guarantee</a> <br /><br /> 
<a href="{{my.doclink-url-2}}" style="font-weight: bold;">{{my.Dynamic-DisplayBrandNameA}} Regular Terms</a>

This code was working for a time then all the sudden stopped recently (I'm guessing maybe it shouldn't have worked the first time)

Interestingly, if I remove the last line in the code, I can approve the email normally. 

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Email Validation Error when adding velocity token for Opportunity field data

Simple — the error tells you exactly what’s happening.

You’re trying to access the 1st index in the array without checking if it has a 1st index. Accessing a nonexistent index is a fatal error. You should make sure the Opportunity list is non-empty and that the split string has the expected size.

Some additional Velocity pointers:

• there’s no need for quotes in that #set directive, they just make it harder to read
  • if you continually access the first (0th) item in the Opportunity list you can’t predict what that will be, unless you’re absolutely sure there will never be more than one
  • generic variable names like $string are poor practice; if it’s the list of “document links” then name it accordingly: $interestingOpptyDocLinks

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman

Re: Email Validation Error when adding velocity token for Opportunity field data

Simple — the error tells you exactly what’s happening.

You’re trying to access the 1st index in the array without checking if it has a 1st index. Accessing a nonexistent index is a fatal error. You should make sure the Opportunity list is non-empty and that the split string has the expected size.

Some additional Velocity pointers:

• there’s no need for quotes in that #set directive, they just make it harder to read
  • if you continually access the first (0th) item in the Opportunity list you can’t predict what that will be, unless you’re absolutely sure there will never be more than one
  • generic variable names like $string are poor practice; if it’s the list of “document links” then name it accordingly: $interestingOpptyDocLinks
Adam_Mokrzecki1
Level 2

Thank you so much Sanford!

I've updated the code, and now the issue appears to be resolved!

updated code:

#if( !$OpportunityList.Document_Links__c.isEmpty() )
#set ($interestingOpptyDocLinks = $OpportunityList.get(0).Document_Links__c )
#set ($output = $interestingOpptyDocLinks.split('\n'))

#set ($docLa = $output[0] )
#set ($docLb = $output[1] )
#end
SanfordWhiteman

You still could be accessing a nonexistent index, unless you are 100.00% sure that the field always has at least one line break.