SOLVED

Re: Email Suspended - 554??

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Email Suspended - 554??

This message appeared in an activity log for a campaign we had sent out.

Email suspended "554 Spam Violation, the content of your email contains illegal characters, re-sent after examination"

What does this mean? What characters are illegal?

Thank you,
Deirdre
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dierdre,
I was able to dig into the bounces a little more closely.  I also saw the 3 bounces with the following message:

"554 Spam violation, the content of your e-mail contains illegal characters, re-sent after examination"

This bounce was sent by the tom.com email network.  This is a Chinese network and it is very likely that your email was blocked because it was in English instead of Chinese. 

I hope this helps explain the bounce! Feel free to reach out to Support if you ever have any questions about interpreting these kinds of bounce responses.

Thank you,
Kiersti

Kiersti Esparza
Email Delivery Strategy & Compliance Manager | Marketo, Inc.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Kiersti_Esparz1
Level 7

Hello Dierdre!

I'd like to look into this for you and see if I can explain what might have happened. 

I will review the reporting related to your email campaign and reply later today with any additional information I am able to gather.

Thank you,
Kiersti
Kiersti Esparza
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dierdre,
I was able to dig into the bounces a little more closely.  I also saw the 3 bounces with the following message:

"554 Spam violation, the content of your e-mail contains illegal characters, re-sent after examination"

This bounce was sent by the tom.com email network.  This is a Chinese network and it is very likely that your email was blocked because it was in English instead of Chinese. 

I hope this helps explain the bounce! Feel free to reach out to Support if you ever have any questions about interpreting these kinds of bounce responses.

Thank you,
Kiersti

Kiersti Esparza
Email Delivery Strategy & Compliance Manager | Marketo, Inc.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much Kiersti - I am very relieved 🙂
Deirdre

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,
We had a bunch of AOL recipients who now have their emails suspended.  The cause is listed as the following:

554 5.7.1 : (RLY:B1) http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/554rlyb1.html

When I go to the link, AOL informs me of the following:
  • This error message is a dynamic block on our system. Dynamic blocks are placed on an IP address when the IP's statistics break our threshold. These are automated blocks that are removed by the system within 24 hours once the complaints are again below the threshold.
Would you be to tell if we are receiving complaints or if there is something we can do to remove the suspension?

Thanks,
David