SOLVED

Re: Email Send & Newsletter Channels

Go to solution
Nurture_Ninja
Level 4

Email Send & Newsletter Channels

This is a very basic question. I understand the specific scenarios when we use the email send and newsletter channels, but what is the underlying difference between them? What is the purpose of having two different channels when same thing can be achieved with just one channel - let us say 'email'? Thanks

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Beth_Massura
Level 8 - Champion

Hello,

The out-of-the-box Email Send and Newsletter channels that come in a new Marketo instance actually do have the same program statuses (Member and Influenced, with Influenced as the success status) and are both associated with the email program type, so there isn't a difference in that sense.

The main purpose/benefit of having separate channels would be for reporting purposes. If you want to compare the performance of general email blasts with a primary call to action (i.e. Email Send) to newsletters with a number of sections/links (i.e. Newsletters), you could want to keep them as separate channels. Perhaps they're run by different teams, have separate budgets or have different goals or expectations. You can filter a Program Performance report by channel.

But if you don't distinguish between the two for marketing performance reporting, then no worries - you don't have to use both channels and can hide/delete one for clarity.

Here's a community blog on Channel Best Practices for additional tips.

Cheers,

Beth Massura

2022 Adobe Marketo Engage Champion

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Well, they have different progression steps if you didn't notice, and based on your requirement (i.e., steps you'd like for your program members) you can use one or the other for your Email programs! Channels and Tags are among the many things in Marketo that you should customize based on your requirements before using them in your Programs. You can read all about Channels and Tags here.

Darshil_Shah1_0-1688139425733.png

Darshil_Shah1_1-1688139438307.png

I hope that answers your question. Please feel free to post any further questions you may have.

Nurture_Ninja
Level 4

Thank you!

Beth_Massura
Level 8 - Champion

Hello,

The out-of-the-box Email Send and Newsletter channels that come in a new Marketo instance actually do have the same program statuses (Member and Influenced, with Influenced as the success status) and are both associated with the email program type, so there isn't a difference in that sense.

The main purpose/benefit of having separate channels would be for reporting purposes. If you want to compare the performance of general email blasts with a primary call to action (i.e. Email Send) to newsletters with a number of sections/links (i.e. Newsletters), you could want to keep them as separate channels. Perhaps they're run by different teams, have separate budgets or have different goals or expectations. You can filter a Program Performance report by channel.

But if you don't distinguish between the two for marketing performance reporting, then no worries - you don't have to use both channels and can hide/delete one for clarity.

Here's a community blog on Channel Best Practices for additional tips.

Cheers,

Beth Massura

2022 Adobe Marketo Engage Champion

Nurture_Ninja
Level 4

Thanks, that perfectly answers my question.