Email performance reports based on segmentations

Sarah_Samuels
Level 2

Email performance reports based on segmentations

Hi all

I am using the Email performance reports within the analytics platform of Marketo, and note that I can group my results by segmentation.

My only problem is that it groups it by current segmentation and not the segmentation that applied to a person prior to the email going out.

This particular segmentation is based on behaviours with EDMs.  For example, we have a 'disengaged' segments which includes those who haven't opened an email for 6 months.  As soon as they open this email, they effectivley come out of this segment and into another.

I'm finding it difficult to track the success of my campaign to the 'disengaged' group as the report is showing current segmentation. 

Any ideas how I can do this?

5 REPLIES 5
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Email performance reports based on segmentations

Hi Sarah,

You will have to store the "disengaged" and similar information in a field and group report on this field. Then you will have to manage the update of this field accordingly to your rules.

Indeed, there is not mechanism in Marketo to use data "as of a certain date"

-Greg

Sarah_Samuels
Level 2

Hi Greg

Do you mean creating a field like 'original segmentation'?

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

HI Sarah,

yes, that would be it.

-Greg

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

To be precise, it's something like Previous Segment (not Segmentation).  And you should include the name of the 'tation b/c you may do this for more than one.

I do see several dangers/irregularities with this approach. Maybe slightly better would be logging Last Segment Change Date, which you can update this by using the Segment Changes trigger. Still, the whole thing makes me kind of uneasy... there should be some kind of architectural shift in how you set up for reporting IMO.

Sarah_Samuels
Level 2

Thanks Guys. As it's a very simple segmentation, I'm happy with this approach.  Good to know for future campaigns though!