Re: Email Marketing in 8 different languages

Anonymous
Not applicable

Email Marketing in 8 different languages

Any tips on the best way to organize an email strategy with 8 different languages?

10 REPLIES 10
Frank_Breen2
Level 10

Are you looking to email the same communication in 8 languages or do you have 8 teams doing independent marketing in language (i.e. they are creating everything in language)?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Allison,

What is the use-case? Is this a one-off email that needs to be dynamic or will you have this request often? Also, will other assets need to be in different languages too (landing pages, forms, etc.)?

Kim

Lauren_Beth
Level 6

Hi Allison,

We currently do up to, I think, five languages within one campaign across email and landing pages.  I'd recommend using tokens for almost all, if not all, of the email content.  The email looks essentially blank in the editor.  This makes creation and editing much easier, less error prone and quicker.  We also always wrap up the English language version first, than get the content translated, to avoid having to make changes to the other languages later, which adds significant time and cost if you have to end up doing it.  Also consider the timing of your campaigns to go to each language/time zone at the right time.  This makes a big difference in open rates.

If you do extend this to landing pages make sure to translate the forms, thank you pages, etc.  This all adds up to higher conversion rates for us.  And I'd definitely encourage you to take the time to use more languages when possible.  Our conversion rates have gone up as much as 30% when we communicate in the local language.

Lauren

Jessica_Kao3
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

To add on to everyone else's comments.  You want to use segments to delineate who get's what language and use dynamic content in the email.  So you will have one email in marketo, and within that email depending on the segment, it will show the different languages.  That way it is much easier to manage. 

Julz_James
Level 10

This is exactly what I was going to say Jessica.  Dynamic Content and segmentation based on country or language spoken using a field.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Allison,

Do you use a translation service that you can recommend? Additionally, for dynamic content, is that done in the tokens, how are you setting up who gets which content within the 1 email? do you perhaps have a screen shot you can share as an example?

Chris_Johnston
Level 8

Translation and linguistic services | Language Solutions | Donnelley Financial Solutions -- My recommendation

Cloudwords - Make Your Marketing Cloud Global  -- are part of the Marketo Accellerate program and connects right into Marketo.

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

If you use Lauren's approach, yes, local program tokens are being used rather than hard-coding the translated content directly within the email.  Both methods use a country segmentation to define the dynamic content/token within the email.  You cannot have dynamic content within tokens (unless you use an email script (velocity) token).  Normally, you would use a "text" or "rich-text" token.  If you can get by with "text" - and let your email handle the formatting/stylization - that would be preferred.

pastedImage_0.png

Brittney_Zeller
Level 2

Hi Allison,

We also utilize Smartling for translating the content.  It automatically syncs into Marketo once the translation is complete.

Best,

Brittney