SOLVED

Email flow - Choices and Values

Go to solution
vgccollege
Level 1

Email flow - Choices and Values

Hello! I am very new to Marketo and am currently setting up a Newsletter program. I have a pretty simple question that came up! 

The newsletter will be sent to partners in various countries around the world. I have created different Emails for the different languages and depending on which country is defined under the custom field 'Market'  they will receive a certain language option.

One of the emails will be sent to multiple countries.

My question for the Choice 1 is: Does is need to be 

If: Market contains Chile, Colombia, Dominican, ...

Email: xxx

OR

If: Market is: Chile, Colombia, Dominican, ...

E-Mail: xxx

Please see screenshot below. To be eligible to receive the Email only one of the countries would have to be applicable.

Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 9.29.03 PM.png

Thanks a lot!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Email flow - Choices and Values

Hi,

The [contains] operator in Marketo doesn't parse a comma-delimited string into a list of separate items. If you do [contains]  "apple, banana, pear" that means you're searching for the literal string "apple, banana, pear." (Consider that users need to be able to search for a string that contains a comma, so it couldn't always be treated as a list!)

Rather, you want to use the green sign. That lets you input a list of choices, each of which is searched for separately.

2020-05-25 00_52_41-Marketo _ FB Rescore 1 (Flow) • Marketing Activities.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman

Hi,

The [contains] operator in Marketo doesn't parse a comma-delimited string into a list of separate items. If you do [contains]  "apple, banana, pear" that means you're searching for the literal string "apple, banana, pear." (Consider that users need to be able to search for a string that contains a comma, so it couldn't always be treated as a list!)

Rather, you want to use the green sign. That lets you input a list of choices, each of which is searched for separately.

2020-05-25 00_52_41-Marketo _ FB Rescore 1 (Flow) • Marketing Activities.png

SanfordWhiteman

In addition, from the the look of this field (Market) you should think seriously about creating a Segmentation with a Segment for each group of Market values.

Marketo's Dynamic Content is based on Segmentations. While you don't always need to use the Segmentation — you may continue to use the flat Person field whenever you want — having it available gives you a lot more power with the platform.

vgccollege
Level 1

Thank you very much for the swift response! This is very helpful as I am navigating through the platform. I'll look into the segmentations as well! 

vgccollege
Level 1

I was a little too quick in my response. I just tried the solution with the green plus sign and realized that it's not there. Could it be because 'Market' is just a text field? 

SanfordWhiteman

It has to be a String field, rather than Text(area).

Given the length of your example data it could just as easily be a String. 

vgccollege
Level 1

Thank you! I figured it out. I was able to change the field type and assign all necessary countries as values to my custom field. Now I can access the value chooser. This will work for now but I will definitely look into the segmentation to improve it!