SOLVED

Email deliverability - sudden increase in suspended emails (550 5.7.1)

Go to solution

Email deliverability - sudden increase in suspended emails (550 5.7.1)

Hi,

recently we sent out an email campaign to a highly-engaged list, consisting of mainly long- term subscribers who are familiar with the type of content as they receive it periodically.  The email was also very similar in terms of structure and content to those sent before, so we again expected successful campaign.

As the emails were sent I noticed that suddenly there was a huge spike in the percent of undelivered mails, reaching almost 7 % (for comparison, typical percentage of undelivered emails for this segment was between 0.1% and 0.3%). I did a bit of research and found out the vast majority of emails were suspended for being spammy (spamcop, poor reputation - suspend code 550 5.7.1.). I also noticed that there are domain clusters that blocked the email (for example, nobody from the domains "xy.com" or "dada.com" received the email).

As explained before, it is highly unlikely that so many recipients suddenly stoped liking the mails or marked them as spam, so I would appreciate any suggestions/comments on how to recover our reputation so we can get to these inboxes again?

Thank you,

Matjaž

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Email deliverability - sudden increase in suspended emails (550 5.7.1)

First, accept that you may never really know.

1. are you on a shared IP? if so, someone else may have ruined the IP's reputation.
  2. Is Sales using your domain with something like Salesloft and causing havoc on your domain's rep? They are not the type of people to manage their list well.
  3. Did you hit a spam trap or abuse? Search in the forums for ways to see if that happened.
  4. Did you hit a server with too many emails?
  5. Your audience could have upgraded their spam filters or triggered something subtle.

There are many threads here on filtering the list more or managing your reputation.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

First, accept that you may never really know.

1. are you on a shared IP? if so, someone else may have ruined the IP's reputation.
  2. Is Sales using your domain with something like Salesloft and causing havoc on your domain's rep? They are not the type of people to manage their list well.
  3. Did you hit a spam trap or abuse? Search in the forums for ways to see if that happened.
  4. Did you hit a server with too many emails?
  5. Your audience could have upgraded their spam filters or triggered something subtle.

There are many threads here on filtering the list more or managing your reputation.

Hi Josh,

thanks for your explanations!

Best;m