Re: Dynamic Landing Page convert to PDF

pp
Level 1
Level 1

Dynamic Landing Page convert to PDF

I am new on Marketo, 
I need to convert my dynamic landing page into PDF. So I can email that PDF as attachment. 
Please let me know the best solution. 

6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You can’t send attachments using Marketo, period.

But you can send a link that returns a dynamic PDF made from a dynamic LP. Search past posts for “PDFMyURL”.

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

I'm not sure whether I understand the rationale behind converting a dynamic landing page into a PDF doc in the first place. Moreover, converting a PDF doc would make this a static asset, i.e., if the person's data changes such that the page content could change if it were dynamic, then you'd not be able to serve the correct dynamic content in the first place unless you embed tokens in the document (check out Sandy's article on PDFMyURL that actually include {{lead.tokens}} ​in the content here). Why not just link the page in the email instead of sending the pdf? Also, as Sandy mentions, you cannot add attachments in Marketo emails as emails with attachments would likely get caught in the spam filters. As an alternative, you can add a link to the file in your email (usually users upload it in the Design Studio). 🙂

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I'm not sure whether I understand the rationale behind converting a dynamic landing page into a PDF doc in the first place.

Agreed, but usually there is a need to have the PDF saved offline, e.g. for event registration or to prove attendance.

Carl_Delafonta2
Level 3

Hi, personally, I like to use a Google Chrome extension called GoFullPage. It will take a screenshot of the entire page that you are currently viewing and will let you download it into a PDF. As Sanford mentioned, you won't be able to attach this PDF to a Marketo email, but you can upload it into Design Studio and referenced it in your email as a link. If you make changes to the Landing Page, you will need to generate a new PDF file and replace the legacy file in Design Studio to keep an updated version.

Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

@Carl_Delafonta2, you missed a key word in @pp's original post.  Namely 'dynamic'.

The landing page can be different for every person, so you can't use a client side plug in to save it one time and place it in design studio.

@pp, does it even need to be a PDF?  Could it be a link that went to the landing page with the correct information displayed?  If so that can be done using the Marketo unique code and some of @SanfordWhiteman Sanford's black magic (this is a good starting point https://blog.teknkl.com/fixing-marketo-purls/), or could you even just display the information in the email itself?

Cheers

Jo

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Agreed with you, @Jo_Pitts1! That's precisely the reason I wanted to understand whether OP really has a valid business case for using the PDF? If OP could do with non-PDF content, e.g., linking the webpage in the email/displaying the data in the email, it'd be better than jumping through all the hoops of being able to serve the dynamic content via PDF doc.