Dynamic email content email based on customer product

Vlada_Prasolova
Level 5

Dynamic email content email based on customer product

Hi,

i'm planning a mass email blast for customers of all our products and i'm trying to create a email template which would consist of 2 blocks - 1) dynamic (short product info depending on what product a customer has) 2) general info

what is the best way to do it (i normally would just have n-emails) and would set the flow:

if product = A, send email A

if product = B, send email B

but this time there are just too many emails that i would have to create (40)

is there a better solution to this?

6 REPLIES 6
Stijn_Heijthuij
Level 7

Re: Dynamic email content email based on customer product

Hi Vlada,

If you're not up for creating a lot of emails you can create Segments and then base the dynamic content based on these segments.

Explanation on how to setup a segmentation can be found here: Segmentation and Snippets - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

Personally I prefer creating one parent program and up to 40 child (Email Send) programs.

I would create the base for the child programs first and base this on tokens. Then, for each different child program I would edit the tokens based on the segment I'm targeting. For the Smart List of the child programs I would select 'member of program is parent program' and then your specific targeting based on the segment you wanted to serve.

For any questions on how to set this up, please let me know and I can make a screenshot for you.

Vlada_Prasolova
Level 5

hi, Stijn!

thank you for your answer. so what you mean is that is would need to create a text token and add the information that i want to display depending on the product?

if you could make the screenshot i'd be very grateful.

Not sure i anderstand your idea completely.

Thank you!

Stijn_Heijthuij
Level 7

Hi Vlada,

Segmentations allow you to display different types of content to people belonging in different segments.

Let's assume you have a database field called 'Product Name'. A lead with 'Product A' in that field could go into the segment for 'Product A Owners'. A lead with 'Product B' in that field would go into the segment for 'Product B'. If the field is empty, it would be the default value

Screen Shot 2015-10-20 at 12.32.21 PM.png

Once your segment has been created you can go into your email, select the block that you want to have changed and make it dynamic based on your segment.

Screen Shot 2015-10-20 at 12.36.50 PM.png

Then, on the right hand side, under 'Dynamic' you will find all your segments and you can change the content based on the products someone owns.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi:

The best way to do this is with a segmentation of the email itself.  The steps to completing this are:

1)  Create your segmentation in the lead database

2)  In your email, click segment email in the left hand pane.

3)  Then for each section you want to make dynamic you drag that into the segment area and change the content per segment.

The other way to do this is with Email Scripting.  Not sure which one would be easier in your case.

Vlada_Prasolova
Level 5

Jamie!

that's sounds really like what i was looking for. thank you!

but as i see, under this option i would have to replace the whole email content every time for every segment. Is there a way to add several "edit text" blocks under this by default and then make 1 dynamic, and the other - static, as it's the same for all customers

Capture.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, you can have some blocks be static and others that are dynamic.  For the example you have here however, it is all one big block so this block is either static or dynamic.  In the template you can create multiple blocks within the email template, and then here you can designate some as dynamic and others as static.

With email scripting you don;t need to create multiple blocks, but you have to code this up in the script.