SOLVED

Re: Duplicate detection in Marketo

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Duplicate detection in Marketo

Hi,

How duplicate detection works in Marketo? Ideally, Marketo applies dedupe on email address when a lead is created using API or form (UI) or list import. Its working as expected when I am trying to create using API but I am able to create multiple leads with same email using Marketo form (UI). Shouldn't it apply dedupe in this case?

I have multiple leads with same email address, how to update all the record using Rest API? Only the most recent lead is getting update. I tried using "id" in the request but its erroring out ("status": "skipped",      "reasons": [{ "code": "1003",  "message": "Field 'id' not allowed").

Thanks,

Rohit

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

Hi Vishnu,

Josh is correct that your form fillouts should not be generating duplicate records under normal configurations.

Regarding your second concern, the 1003 code, this is often the result of the inclusion of both 'email' and 'id' members in your input for a given lead.  If you do not specify the lookupField as 'id', then this will default to lookup by email, and will forbid id from being included.  If you specify the lookupField as id, you shouldn't encounter this issue.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

That's strange. You should not be able to make multiple leads via form. You might check with your admin or support.

Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

Hi Vishnu,

Josh is correct that your form fillouts should not be generating duplicate records under normal configurations.

Regarding your second concern, the 1003 code, this is often the result of the inclusion of both 'email' and 'id' members in your input for a given lead.  If you do not specify the lookupField as 'id', then this will default to lookup by email, and will forbid id from being included.  If you specify the lookupField as id, you shouldn't encounter this issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response Kenny, do you know if there is any settings to manage duplicate detection? I have admin privilege on Marketo instance.

Naomi_Marr1
Level 2

We have found instances where a duplicate is created from a Marketo form if the email address has casing differences (I.e., john.smith@gmail.com versus John.Smith@gmail.com would create two records). This was validated by Support and is a known functionality. I don't know of any plans to change that but perhaps someone inside Marketo can confirm or deny.