SOLVED

Does "Clicked Link in Email" include URL Parameters?

Go to solution
Jeff_Morgan
Level 1

Does "Clicked Link in Email" include URL Parameters?

I'm trying to create an NPS email that uses link clicks in an email to trigger a smart campaign. In the flow of that campaign I want to:

- Name Value Change
   - If "Clicked Link in Email" contains "nps=10"   then NPS Score = 10
   -If "Clicked Link in Email" contains "nps=9"   then NPS Score = 9

- etc...

Essentially this would make it possible for someone to respond to an NPS survey directly out of their email without submitting a form.
However, in testing I've found that none of the name value change filters are equal true so the NPS Score field doesn't get set. 

Any thoughts on why this might be happening?

I'm hoping it isn't because the "clicked link in email" filter doesn't include URL parameters. If that is the case, it would be frustrating since the "Clicked Link in Email" trigger seems to evaluate the full URL including URL parameters. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Does "Clicked Link in Email" include URL Parameters?

The Clicked Email Link constraint is supposed to include the query string, yes (as opposed to the Visited Web Page URL).

But I wouldn’t recommend using that constraint anyway. Instead, use the Link ID, which is a sadly underused feature.

However I’d be extremely wary of treating link clicks, which are done by mail scanners as well as by humans, as trustworthy.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman

The Clicked Email Link constraint is supposed to include the query string, yes (as opposed to the Visited Web Page URL).

But I wouldn’t recommend using that constraint anyway. Instead, use the Link ID, which is a sadly underused feature.

However I’d be extremely wary of treating link clicks, which are done by mail scanners as well as by humans, as trustworthy.

Jeff_Morgan
Level 1

Thanks for the response.

Good point on the email scanners. Maybe we'll have to rethink how we're executing this.

That said, Link ID doesn't seem to be an option in the if condition of the "change data value" flow action. Do you know if it is possible to access it there or only under constraints at the trigger level? If that is the case, I guess you'd have to create an individual campaign for every Link ID you wanted to evaluate?

SanfordWhiteman

If that is the case, I guess you'd have to create an individual campaign for every Link ID you wanted to evaluate?

Yes, although that’s true whenever you’re trying to route people based on a specific click in a time frame.

Jeff_Morgan
Level 1

Thanks for verifying. I really appreciate all the time and expertise you provide in this forum.

SanfordWhiteman

'welcome!