Does 'Clicked link on web page' work on pages that are NOT Marketo landing pages

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does 'Clicked link on web page' work on pages that are NOT Marketo landing pages

Hi,

I would like to create a link report for a web page that has Munchkin code, but is not a Marketo landing page.

Is this possible?

Thanks,
Sarah

7 REPLIES 7
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Does 'Clicked link on web page' work on pages that are NOT Marketo landing pages

Clicked Link is valid for non-Marketo pages. You will see those activities in a lead's Activity Log.

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Re: Does 'Clicked link on web page' work on pages that are NOT Marketo landing pages

Please note you may not see the links in the dropdown search suggestions until someone clicks a link on the external page that has Munchkin on it. Once it's been clicked at least once, the link should then start appearing as you type it in (note that it may omit "http://" and/or "www." depending on the link).

Anonymous
Not applicable

May I suggest visited web page filter work better to see the traffic of a web page. most take www. out. It is easier for Marketo to track the visited versus the clicked, I think the fact that everything happens in a blink of an eye as it impact.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

@Tanya - totally agree here. The Clicked Link action = Visited Web Page. The only time you want Clicked Link on Web Page is for PDFs that may not get tracked fully or to external sites.

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

I don't fully understand this. If she wants to track all link clicks on an external page, why would she want to use "visited web page"? That has nothing to do with link clicks, which is what the original question was regarding. It's totally valid to want to see an overview of which links on a page are being clicked. Those links may point to content outside of her organization so you can't use visited web page.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

It is easier for Marketo to track the visited versus the clicked, I think the fact that everything happens in a blink of an eye as it impact.

Disagree.  In fact, the Clicked Link event is logged synchronously by default.  You are less likely to see dropped clicks than dropped page views with an untweaked Munchkin config.

The two also have different semantic meanings.  If you want to see the performance of links from one page to another you need to use Clicked Link, unless [1] you run Munchkin on source and destination, i.e. the destination is a domain under your control and is not a downloadable file and [2a] you tag all your links with source information or [2b] you ensure that the source will always pass the referrer, i.e. the source is not on http: with the dest being https.

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Agreed.