SOLVED

Re: Discrepancy between Revenue Explorer Report and Email Performance Report - Need help to understand what causing this :(

Go to solution
fs_5319
Level 1

Discrepancy between Revenue Explorer Report and Email Performance Report - Need help to understand what causing this :(

Hi,

I'm analysing my email campaign performance report from July 2021 to date (15th Nov). I created email performance report by filtering the necessary program to the region and business unit that I'm interested in. I also filter the email send data to be 1st July 21 - 15th Nov 22. 

I randomly compared the performance of one of the emails in the email performance report and revenue explorer report, where I noticed that there is a huge discrepancy between the number of sent, delivered, and clicks between these two reports for this particular email. Below are the screenshots for reference.

Below is the report for from email marketing report:

fs_5319_1-1668499153713.png

Below is revenue explorer report:

fs_5319_3-1668501815062.png

As you can see above, there is a huge discrepancy in sent and delivered between these two reports. I understand that we have data retention policy for marketo, where email send and delivered data will only be retained for 90 days. Could it be the reason that causing this issue?

Thanks for your advice!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Michael_Florin
Level 10

Re: Discrepancy between Revenue Explorer Report and Email Performance Report - Need help to understand what causing this :(

You have a Smart List filter on your Email Performance Report. That filter is most likely not present on your RCE Report.

View solution in original post

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

As you can see above, there is a huge discrepancy in sent and delivered between these two reports. I understand that we have data retention policy for marketo, where email send and delivered data will only be retained for 90 days. Could it be the reason that causing this issue?

By default, Marketo's data retention policy does not apply to the email performance report unless you specify any person activity in the SL that is affected by the data retention policy. FYR, the email performance report itself does not draw data from the lead activity log (filters added in the SL of the report, of course, do).

Did you add any SL filter for filtering the activities based on the email sent date or did you just configure the email sent date in the setup tab of the analytics report? Also, it's worth checking if you're looking at the metrics for the same time period as the analytics report in the REC report as well.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Michael_Florin
Level 10

You have a Smart List filter on your Email Performance Report. That filter is most likely not present on your RCE Report.

fs_5319
Level 1

Yup that's right, thanks Michael for pointing that out.

Darshil_Shah1

By default, Marketo's data retention policy does not apply to the email performance report unless you specify any person activity in the SL that is affected by the data retention policy. FYR, the email performance report itself does not draw data from the lead activity log (filters added in the SL of the report, of course, do).

Did you add any SL filter for filtering the activities based on the email sent date or did you just configure the email sent date in the setup tab of the analytics report? Also, it's worth checking if you're looking at the metrics for the same time period as the analytics report in the REC report as well.

fs_5319
Level 1

Thanks so much for your recommendations. Yes I did apply some SL filters and have removed them now. Now , I'm just filtering the email name in the setup tab, and the data looks more convincing now. With slight discrepancies, see screenshot below. 

Yes, I did filter the send date for email performance report (1st July 21 - 15th Nov 22). I did not put any date filter on the REC report. Can we put date filter on REC report? I'm not really familiar with the setting, appreciate your advice on this. Thanks 🙂

fs_5319_0-1668519662085.png

fs_5319_1-1668519713825.png

Darshil_Shah1

You could use the apt sent timeframe measure in the report and filter appropriately to include data from the specific time range that ideally coincides with the sent time configuration of your analytics report.

Darshil_Shah1_0-1668522163691.png

fs_5319
Level 1

Thanks Darshil. I did a further checking and found out that the small discrepancy was due to merge leads. All good now. Thanks 🙂

Darshil_Shah1

That's awesome! Glad I could be of help. 🙂