SOLVED

Discrepancy between Marketo clicks and GA pageviews

Go to solution
John_Bucaccio
Level 1

Discrepancy between Marketo clicks and GA pageviews

Hi,

I recently ran an email campaign that registered 19 clicks in Marketo. When I look at the GA data for the landing page that the CTA in the email drove to, there are well over 50 pageviews with different "mkt_tok" tracking codes. 

I'm having a hard time making sense of this discrepancy. The copy around the CTA asked recipients to forward the email to colleagues who might also be interested in the landing page content, but my understanding is that any clicks in forwarded emails would still be tracked by Marketo?

Thank you,

John    

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Discrepancy between Marketo clicks and GA pageviews

Forwarded emails would still (there's nothing you can do about this) have their clicks tracked back to the original recipient. So that alone cannot be the cause.

If you refresh the page, of course, that will register in GA (and Marketo) as a pageview but not in Marketo as a click. Do you have logic on the page that refreshes it in-place under some circumstances, like accepting a cookie banner, submitting a form, etc.?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman

Forwarded emails would still (there's nothing you can do about this) have their clicks tracked back to the original recipient. So that alone cannot be the cause.

If you refresh the page, of course, that will register in GA (and Marketo) as a pageview but not in Marketo as a click. Do you have logic on the page that refreshes it in-place under some circumstances, like accepting a cookie banner, submitting a form, etc.?

John_Bucaccio
Level 1

Hi @SanfordWhiteman,

Not that I'm aware of. Our cookie banner doesn't cause a page refresh and the form on the page drives to a separate confirmation page, so I don't think that's causing the issue. Also, wouldn't multiple pageviews by the same user register under the same url parameter? I can see some with multiple pageviews, but there are over 50 unique mkt_tok tracking codes.

Thanks for your help. 

SanfordWhiteman

Sorry, I misread your mention of the different mkt_tok values. Those can only come from Marketo tracked links.

It isn’t possible for someone to click a tracked link and not have at least one Clicked Email alongside zero or more (zero = cookies are blocked) Visit Web Page activities.

John_Bucaccio
Level 1

Hey @SanfordWhiteman,

I learned that one of our recipients forwarded the email to a large group within their network. Although clicks on this forwarded email would only be associated with the original recipient, could all of these visitors still have unique "mkt_tok" tracking codes? 

SanfordWhiteman

They'd all have the same mkt_tok.