SOLVED

Disable Cookies / Tracking on Marketo Landing Page and Form

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disable Cookies / Tracking on Marketo Landing Page and Form

I have a landing page and form that are only used internally, but the team will be entering prospect or customer information into the form to be sent to a partner. What's the best way to turn off cookies so I don't have incorrect data overwriting existing CRM data?
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Disable Cookies / Tracking on Marketo Landing Page and Form

@Carissa C -- I think @Bruce J is also alluding to this -- is it possible that you're confused about what cookies do/don't do with respect to the Marketo back end database?

Even with cookies all disabled, a simple form submit will update a Marketo Lead record, and in turn update your CRM.  That's kind of the intent of filling out a form!

If you want to use a form without any risk of clobbering an existing lead, you'd have to ensure that you don't update any "real" Marketo fields but rather placeholder fields like pendingEmail, pendingLastName, etc.  We do something like this when a user tries to update their own info, putting it in a quarantine of sorts (but this is done on the SFDC side).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

just turn off prefill on the form and form fields.

Bruce_Jeffers
Level 4

@Carissa -- will the team be entering email addresses of any leads that currently exist in your database?

In other words, are you worried that this new form will overwrite data on some existing leads....which you don't want to happen?
Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You should also remove the munchkin code from the landing page so that the person entering in the lead data doesn't get identified/tracked for future activity (visiting website, etc.) as the last one he/she entered - since he/she will be associated with the last lead entered.
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

@Carissa C -- I think @Bruce J is also alluding to this -- is it possible that you're confused about what cookies do/don't do with respect to the Marketo back end database?

Even with cookies all disabled, a simple form submit will update a Marketo Lead record, and in turn update your CRM.  That's kind of the intent of filling out a form!

If you want to use a form without any risk of clobbering an existing lead, you'd have to ensure that you don't update any "real" Marketo fields but rather placeholder fields like pendingEmail, pendingLastName, etc.  We do something like this when a user tries to update their own info, putting it in a quarantine of sorts (but this is done on the SFDC side).
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, all. I think to be on the safe side I will create some non CRM fields (I was originally trying to avoid this extra step, but if it's the best way that's fine).