SOLVED

Difference Referrer Constraint & Web Page

Go to solution
MariaMarketo
Level 2

Difference Referrer Constraint & Web Page

Hi, when should I use "Web Page" and when should I use the "Referrer" Constraint?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Difference Referrer Constraint & Web Page

This isn't correct, Nitin.

Within the context of a Filled Out Form activity, the Referrer constraint is the page the form was on. It is not the page prior to that page.

You're thinking of the JS document.referrer/HTTP Referer: header. But that value indicates the page that led to the document. That is, the pageview that happened directly before the current Visit Web Page activity.

The referrer of a form fillout — like the referrer of an image or any other sub-resource on the page — is the current main document.

The correct way to identify the page an embedded form was on is to use the Referrer constraint.

I wrote about referrers at Here’s why your “Autofill from Referrer Parameter” setup stopped working.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Nitin_Sharma1
Level 2

Hi Maria,

You can use "Referrer" if you want to check lead coming from a particular referral page or previous page. (EDIT: this is only true for Visit Web Page, not for Filled Out Form.)

Web Page helps you select the same page where your form exists like you have used the same form at different places but you are looking for form submission on XYZ page then you will select the XYZ page in "Web Page".

Let me know if this answers your question.

Thanks,
Nitin Sharma
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

This isn't correct, Nitin.

Within the context of a Filled Out Form activity, the Referrer constraint is the page the form was on. It is not the page prior to that page.

You're thinking of the JS document.referrer/HTTP Referer: header. But that value indicates the page that led to the document. That is, the pageview that happened directly before the current Visit Web Page activity.

The referrer of a form fillout — like the referrer of an image or any other sub-resource on the page — is the current main document.

The correct way to identify the page an embedded form was on is to use the Referrer constraint.

I wrote about referrers at Here’s why your “Autofill from Referrer Parameter” setup stopped working.