Determining Lead Origin

erin_oomnitza
Level 1

Determining Lead Origin

I'm trying to determine where leads are originating from (for example: Google, LinkedIn, etc.). I specifically want to know which Google ad word the lead came from and I'm not sure what fields I need to get this information so it can be added to reports.

8 REPLIES 8
Michael_Florin
Level 10

Re: Determining Lead Origin

This depends on how you have set up your lead capturing process. How you handle Lead Source/Person Source, whether or not you save utm parameters in fields on form submit or which native integrations - e.g. with LinkedIn - you have. I think you will need to explain all that a little more to enable us to give a solid response.

If you don't know all that much about your instance, probably start with a Smart List filter like this:

Michael_Florin_0-1708454575699.png

Does this return any people? And if so, take a look at their activity history and and check their "filled out form" details. Which form were they submitting, how do the query strings look like and did you save them? That might enable you to add the correct fields to your reporting views or define your custom columns.

erin_oomnitza
Level 1

Search Brand campaign: utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SearchBrand&utm_term={keyword}

Display Competitors campaign: utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=DisplayCompetitors&utm_term={keyword}

Search NB Tier 2 campaign: utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SearchNBTier2&utm_term={keyword}

Search NB Asset Intelligence campaign: utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SearchNonbrandAssetIntelligence&utm_term={keyword} (paused)

So we have followed the steps from Marketo. I'm not exactly sure why that information wouldn't be pulling into Marketo. Could something else be interfering with the integration? 

From what I remember on our call about this, when looking at a live ad and clicking through, the UTM templates were being applied. I just ran a diagnostic test on our Brand Search campaign to double check and am seeing the templates applied.
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

OK, those are your hard-coded keywords. Not the same as the value actually searched by the end user — that’s what you cannot see.

Do you have Hidden fields set to Auto-Fill from these query parameters?

What do you see in the Details of the Filled Out Form activity (which will include the whole URL as well)?

erin_oomnitza
Level 1

Do you have Hidden fields set to Auto-Fill from these query parameters? As far as I know we don't. I'm a recent addition to the team. Unfortunately, my predecessor left the company before I learned too much about Marketo. She's the one who was in charge of everything.

What do you see in the Details of the Filled Out Form activity (which will include the whole URL as well)? I don't know where to find that.

SanfordWhiteman

Do you have Hidden fields set to Auto-Fill from these query parameters? As far as I know we don't. I'm a recent addition to the team. Unfortunately, my predecessor left the company before I learned too much about Marketo. She's the one who was in charge of everything.

OK, you’d need at the bare minimum to have

• custom fields created to store the (most recent and/or original) UTM params
  • those custom fields added in Form Editor as Hidden*, each one Autofilling from the corresponding query param

What do you see in the Details of the Filled Out Form activity (which will include the whole URL as well)? I don't know where to find that.

Double-click on the Filled Out Form activity in the Activity Log.

* Some users use custom JS to add & fill & manage the Hidden fields instead of setting up the Hidden fields in Form Editor,

but that’s a more advanced case.

erin_oomnitza
Level 1

OK, you’d need at the bare minimum to have

• custom fields created to store the (most recent and/or original) UTM params
  • those custom fields added in Form Editor as Hidden*, each one Autofilling from the corresponding query param

Double-click on the Filled Out Form activity in the Activity Log.

How do I do that? They talked about getting me into a course to learn more about Marketo but that probably won't be until April and I need to be able to do this before then.

SanfordWhiteman

How do I do that? They talked about getting me into a course to learn more about Marketo but that probably won't be until April and I need to be able to do this before then.

To be honest, it sounds like you should retain a Marketo consultant for a short period. If your employer is asking you to rush features out the door on your own without having any Marketo experience and relying only on the community... that can end in disaster.That consultant can also give you better details about what they’re doing than you’ll get in a generic course.

SanfordWhiteman

Even with a thorough multi-touch attribution process like Michael suggests — and you absolutely should implement one — you won’t have “the Google ad word” in a field. This data is not passed verbatim from Google for privacy reasons. You’ll have the gclid, which you pass to Google to close the circle on attribution but which is meaningless on its own.