SOLVED

Deleting Marketo Persons that do not exist in SFDC

Go to solution
cowilson14
Level 1

Deleting Marketo Persons that do not exist in SFDC

I have inherited a Marketo instance that has a large number of Marketo only persons - meaning they do not exist in Salesforce and SFDC type = is empty.

From my initial inspection, it appears most of these Persons were imported via list uploads for various programs so that we could use Marketo to send communication to customers who do not exist in SFDC and were being pulled from outside data sources. 

My question is around deleting their person records from Marketo. 

Is it best practice to remove these persons from Marketo as they do not exist in SFDC anyway? Would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Deleting Marketo Persons that do not exist in SFDC

Is it best practice to remove these persons from Marketo as they do not exist in SFDC anyway? Would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

There's no overarching reason to avoid Marketo-only leads, and no single recommended practice here. It depends entirely on your business.

If they're of no use in Marketo, now or ever, then you can delete them. If the same people might be reintroduced on the SFDC side, and the existing record in Marketo isn't useful enough to be worth merging duplicates, you can delete them.

But if you might send to them again from Marketo and don't want to lose their history/context, then you don't want to delete them.

And of course the count of such leads, like any dead leads, matters a lot because it eventually impacts cost. A few thousand leads might not be something to worry about now, but they should be easy to find later. Mark their source clearly, for example, because their send history will eventually age out of the Activity Log.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

There's no overarching reason to avoid Marketo-only leads, and no single recommended practice here. It depends entirely on your business.

If they're of no use in Marketo, now or ever, then you can delete them. If the same people might be reintroduced on the SFDC side, and the existing record in Marketo isn't useful enough to be worth merging duplicates, you can delete them.

But if you might send to them again from Marketo and don't want to lose their history/context, then you don't want to delete them.

And of course the count of such leads, like any dead leads, matters a lot because it eventually impacts cost. A few thousand leads might not be something to worry about now, but they should be easy to find later. Mark their source clearly, for example, because their send history will eventually age out of the Activity Log.

cowilson14
Level 1

Thank you, Sanford. 

That was exactly what I was looking for.