Re: Default program with email inside not sending within an engagement program stream

Hannah
Level 2

Default program with email inside not sending within an engagement program stream

Hi All,

I seem to be having trouble with having my email nested within default programs send in an engagement stream. I have tested it multiple times and never received the email from the default program. I set up a test program that I have been using which you can see in the screenshots below. 

Basically I have the engagement program then within that I have an Assets folder that will contain all default programs. In each default program I have an email, the program flow which is the member of engagement program with a flow of send email. Then, I have the progression statuses for our emails that we regularly use (email sent, email opened, email clicked…)

Next, within the engagement program I have the smart list of people we add to the engagement program as well as the smart campaign “Add to engagement program” 

Attached are screenshots of the test program I put together that I’d like to use as a real program set-up. The first image is how I have it all set up folder-wise. Next, is how I was told to set up that 01. Send Email smart campaign which would allow the email in the default program to send. Finally, is an image of the stream, as you can see it says we have exhausted it so something happened but the email in the default program was never sent.

I'd appreciate if anyone can help me figure out why an email in a default program would not send within an engagement stream. Thank you!

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 8.17.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 8.17.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 8.17.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 8.17.37 AM.png

3 REPLIES 3
Beth_Massura
Level 8 - Champion

Re: Default program with email inside not sending within an engagement program stream

Hi Hannah, offhand the nested program looks correct. Does Marketo show the email was actually sent to your test records? (Look at the Results tab on the 01. Send Email campaign and/or use an email performance report).

If it does show as sent in Marketo, could the messages be in your spam folder/quarantine?

If it shows as not having sent in Marketo, can you confirm that those test records are showing as members of the engagement program?

Phillip_Wild
Level 10 - Community Advisor

When using default programs instead of nested emails in engagement programs, Marketo is checking for program membership to see if they qualify, not whether they have been sent the email. So that could be your issue.

If before the cast triggers a particular person is NOT a member of the program that is cast, the smart campaign will run. If they are a member already (with any status) then it won't run. 

Unsure how that fits into your puzzle, but that might be a good place to troubleshoot: were all relevant people not members at time of cast? Beth's questions might be part of it too.

Katja_Keesom
Level 10 - Community Advisor

In addition to the suggestions from the Beth and Philip, here's another basic check. Did you actually activate your engagement program? In the Setup tab of your engagement program there's a setting called Program Status. If that is set to Off, nothing will happen.