SOLVED

Re: Date Work Around for Birthday Card

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Date Work Around for Birthday Card

I'm setting up a Happy Birthday Email and running into a problem. The field I work with for this is Date Of Birth, which of course includes the year they were born. Our systems are set up so if we know their age, but not their birthday, then the Date of Birth field is filled with 1/1/XXXX. 

Because of this system rule, I need to exclude everyone with a January 1st birthday from the mailing, regardless of the year they were born. Any idea how I can make this happen? 

Unfortunately since this email isn't super critical to the business, creating a new Sales Force field is my absolute last resort. If there were some sort of wild card I can use in place of digits in the date, that would be ideal.
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Manisha,

Sorry I didn’t look at the Date of Birth filter more closely initially… it appears that you can’t even add a constraint to the date field. I'm not as familiar with field mapping to/from SFDC, but could you create a new custom text field in Marketo that pulls in the SFDC birthday value, and use the data that way?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Manisha,

Marketo doesn't use wildcards. You can use NOT CONTAINS 1/1 but that would risk a lot of January and November dates falling through. If your system has 01/01 that would work better.

You could at least pull the 1/1 list and then manually remove the non 1/1 leads fairly easily.

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

To build on Josh's reply, assuming that you're only emailing to people over 14 years old, you could use NOT CONTAINS 1/1/1 which would minimize the November and January dates that could fall through.  Of course, this solution would only work for a couple of years until it's possible that the people you are emailing were born in 2000+, so it's still not necessarily ideal.  🙂
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you use "not contains" for a date field?! If so, that would be amazing, but I don't see it as an option.

0EM50000000RZl4.jpg
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Manisha,

Sorry I didn’t look at the Date of Birth filter more closely initially… it appears that you can’t even add a constraint to the date field. I'm not as familiar with field mapping to/from SFDC, but could you create a new custom text field in Marketo that pulls in the SFDC birthday value, and use the data that way?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dory,
That worked perfectly. Thank you so much!!!