Custom Unsubscribe Page and Program Status

Tonya_Austin
Level 2

Custom Unsubscribe Page and Program Status

Hello all,
We have 2 types of products we are marketing (EAP and Wellness) so I have created a custom unsubscribe page so that our leads can choose to opt out of either type or both.  If they do both then it automatically unsubscribes them from ALL.  We have all of our programs set to exclude any that have opted out of that type of mailing to ensure they do not receive those emails if they have chosen not to.  This has been working very well since I set this up.

Here is where the problem is.  I have a Smart Campaign setup in each program to update the Program Status for unsubscribes.  I have the Smart list setup like this using Any as the filter.

Unsubscribes from Email -->  Email is  -- Current Email
Data Value Changes - EAP Opt Out --> New Value = True

I do not believe I can simply use the first filter as it will not trigger if they just opt out of EAP marketing emails, only if they do both which is why I added the second trigger.  The problem is that all campaigns that are setup like this are also changing the Program Status to unsubscribed for these leads because when the data value changes it is being triggerd by any campaigns using this filter.  There has to be a better way to do this.  Does anyone have any ideas?  
Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Re: Custom Unsubscribe Page and Program Status

Hi Tonya, I would add a filter or trigger (depending how you have it set up) of "clicks/clicked link in email", and then a constraint with your unsubscribe link. Unfortunately, this is a bit of work to go backwards and populate in all of your programs, but if you add it consistently going forward, it will result in better data management for you. 
Tonya_Austin
Level 2

Hello Dory,
Thank you for the reply.  Maybe I am missing something but when I add a trigger for this the only links that are available to enter are links I inserted when I created the email.  I beleive the unsubscribe link is dynamically created when the email goes out, correct?

Thanks!
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hey Tonya, we have a separate unsubscribe link in our emails, but you could say clicked link, and link IS NOT one of the links in your email. Not nearly as easy, but I'm not as familiar with using the Marketo unsubscribe link and how to "catch" that someone has clicked on it.
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Why wouldn't Clicks Link in Email, Link CONTAINS "EAP link" work for this? Or 

Clicks Link in Email, Email CONTAINS "EAP"...

I'd rather see you use a subscription management center where they go to the page and then choose. That way you get a much cleaner data collection.

The unsubscribe link is not dynamically created. It is definitely inserted and tokenized, but not dynamic. Just go to Admin > Email to see what it is. You can also get the link from Design Studio > Unsubscribe.html where it should be

http://go.site.com/unsubscribe.html

Tonya_Austin
Level 2

Thanks for your reply Josh!  We do have a subscription center; we modified our existing Unsubscribe page so that they are able to choose what types of emails they want to receive or opt out completely.  There are 2 choices and if they choose both, it automatically unsubscribes them from all.

I grabbed the URL from our page in Design Studio and created a smart campaign that used a trigger for Clicks Link in Email, specified the email that I was testing with and inserted the URL from design studio and it does not have any results.  I also tried a smart list to do this and nothing shows up there either.

Any other ideas?  Thanks!