SOLVED

Custom Tokens not displaying values

Go to solution
LCENTENO
Level 3

Custom Tokens not displaying values

Greetings, 

We have an email set to go out to our members who received incorrect information over the weekend. We have a newly created "Has Rewards Checking Last Month Final" CO that was created in Marketo with the correct data sources and information. However, when we apply the tokens accordingly, and preview a member who qualified. None of the data is displaying correctly.

I will use the custom token rate as an example. The code for this is here:

#set($AccountList = $sorter.sort(${rewardsChecking_cList},"qualificationBeginDate:desc"))
#set($Account = $AccountList.get(0))
${Account.rate}

Now, the valid data sources for the custom object are selected:

LCENTENO_0-1693930060935.png

But when I preview the test email using a qualified member's email, it doesn't show any data.

LCENTENO_1-1693930204977.png

Not sure why this could be happening with not just the highlighted, but also the tokens in the "Actual Results" columns. Any help from the community would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Best,

Lucas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Custom Tokens not displaying values

OK. The takeaway remains that if $sorter.sort returns null (for any reason, including the field you’re sorting on being null) the behavior is expected!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Why not directly print data from the sorted $AccountList variable? Also, you don't really need {} around a variable unless you're displaying data (getting {} out of code wherever not required makes the code easier to read!) Could you try the below code instead?

#set($AccountList = $sorter.sort($rewardsChecking_cList,"qualificationBeginDate:desc"))
${AccountList.get(0).rate}

LCENTENO
Level 3

Hi Darshil,
I applied the code, and the result is below.

LCENTENO_0-1693931380155.png

SanfordWhiteman

If the field qualificationBeginDate is null for any record in the list, your sort will not be functional, leading to this behavior.

LCENTENO
Level 3

Hi Sandford,

I'm not sure I understand your reply. Not sure how a field would display if it were "Null" but here is a record that qualifies and the date is there. 

LCENTENO_0-1693932972892.png

Should I uncheck "QualificationBeginDate" in the source coding (see below)?

LCENTENO_1-1693933157509.png

Not sure if unchecking this would effect the coding.

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Well, what Sandy meant is that if any of the custom object records associated with the person record you've pulled up in the snapshot has a null (empty) value for the Qualification Begin Date ($qualificationBeginDate) field, then the sort will fail, leading to this behavior. Do not uncheck the fields you want to use in the velocity. If you print the list ${rewardsChecking_cList}, do you see null values for the Qualification Begin Date field in any of the CO records for this person?

SanfordWhiteman

I'm not sure I understand your reply. Not sure how a field would display if it were "Null" but here is a record that qualifies and the date is there.

Is that the only CO record for this person?

Should I uncheck "QualificationBeginDate" in the source coding (see below)?

Not sure if unchecking this would effect the coding.

It would break everything you're trying to do, so I'd say it would affect the outcome! But why did you capitalize it differently here than in the code?

LCENTENO
Level 3

Hi Sandford,

I think I discovered the issue. So, we have two different CO's that have the same fields. 
Rewards Checking and Rewards Checking Last Month Final.
I looked at the coding careful and saw that it was pulling API data sources from the "Rewards Checking" CO, and not from "Rewards Checking Last Month Final". I changed the API name in line 1 of the coding and it's pulling the rates correctly.

LCENTENO_0-1693938566748.png

Apologies for not catching this early on, but this scripting was built long before I came aboard. Thanks again to yourself and Darshil.

Best,

Lucas

SanfordWhiteman

OK. The takeaway remains that if $sorter.sort returns null (for any reason, including the field you’re sorting on being null) the behavior is expected!