Re: Custom Object Append Data Question

Chelsea_Kiko
Level 6 - Champion Alumni

Custom Object Append Data Question

Hi there,

We are trying to use custom objects to import webchat data for one of our clients. We built out the custom object and have a successful import of data but we want to continuously append event data instead of overwriting it on each import. Does anyone have any experience with doing so and have successfully found a solution? Let me know if you need more info!

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

Custom activities sound better suited this this case:   Understanding Custom Activities - Marketo Docs - Product Documentation   They're only written once, instead of allowing updates.

Chelsea_Kiko

Thanks, Kenny Elkington  I will check this out! This seems like a great fit, because I can create custom fields too.

However, does it change the problem I am having, can this append information to the field?

i.e. attends webchat ID 1234; attends webchat 9000, etc. ?

Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

No the activities would record each of the individual values for each of your events, they wouldn't be captured in a single field.  What exactly is the end result you're looking for?  It might be easier to help if we know what your goal is.

Chelsea_Kiko

Sure, Kenny Elkington Good question and I appreciate your help so much.

We have a healthcare client who hosts webchats (a platform that does not integrate nicely with MKTO, hence my problem ) and we want the best automated way, without creating programs upfront - to get this information over to marketo to send out emails after the webchat. We DONT want to use the standard webinar API integration with fields, create programs, use tokens for those emails (this is a logical way, but not what our client wants to pay for in the long run).

First, we decided to do custom objects - and then use an email scripting token to populate the email that goes out. However, we had some issues setting up custom objects. However, custom activities seems to definitely be an option but we want to be able to APPEND all webchat data to the lead object. So, I can go in and see John Doe attended webchat #1234, 7685, 9837, and 9021 so we know the lead engagement.

With custom objects, how can I get that unique webchat data (ALL of the webchats he has attended) appended to the lead object? Also, does custom activities work with email scripting token?

SO end goal/process:

John Doe registers for a webchat #1234 -> he automatically receives a confirmation email (using custom activities to generate I hope AND email scripting token) -> attends the webchat #1234 -> it is marked on his lead record he attended -> receives a thank you email

when he goes to sign up for webhcat #1245 - I can see he attended both the webchat #1234 and #1245.

Our client hasnt touched this process since 2009 (they are on exact target which is going away Jan 14) so they want way to basically 'set it and forget it' type deal. Does that help clarify?

Thanks again! My team just cannot seem to figure this out.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

With custom objects, how can I get that unique webchat data (ALL of the webchats he has attended) appended to the lead object?

By creating a new Custom Object record for each webchat.

Also, does custom activities work with email scripting token?

No, and that's why I don't think CAs are the right move for you.

Chelsea_Kiko

Thanks, Sanford (I think you may go by Sandy though ) - we were going to just bring in our development team and try to make it work with Custom Objects.

If I can create a new custom object record for each webchat, and have development write in a process in the API for net new leads to be uploaded as a lead record FIRST, then run through the custom object workflow - do you think this solution would work? (we were having issues where net new leads would not populate with custom object

Or, do you think it is best to just create the programs ahead of time and do the standard API integration populating fields where i can run a smart campaign?

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Chelsea_Kiko

Another thought.....If i understood CAs correctly, any field that is added to them is then available as a filter in a smart campaign. Would that mean it would be available as a standard/normal token (i.e. think lead or program) rather than a scripting token to access the CO? Not sure the answer but another thought.

SanfordWhiteman

No, you won't be able to output it in email content, though it can be used to filter.

SanfordWhiteman

Sandy indeed!

Yes, as long as the lead record already exists (can be created directly prior to CO record attached to the lead) you're going to be fine.