SOLVED

Creation of batch tasks in SFDC

Go to solution
Nurture_Ninja
Level 4

Creation of batch tasks in SFDC

I'm trying to leverage the Create task flow step to create a bunch of taks in SFDC.

These tasks will be created for various SFDC leads and contacts.

The subject of the tasks will be same but the comments are different. Owner is different. 

Is there a way to achieve this via a single smart campaign in Marketo?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Creation of batch tasks in SFDC

The previous reply seems AI-generated and doesn’t shed light on your specific situation.

If you populate a custom text field (String/Textarea) using a list upload, you can include the corresponding {{lead.token}} in the Task Subject or Description. For example, the field Last Task Comment corresponds to the token {{lead.Last Task Comment}}.

However, this will not work for the owner, which is not a mere text field but a pointer to the SFDC Users object. Using a non-default owner requires that you use Add Choice. You can still key the change off a custom text field like Last Task Owner, but you can’t use the {{lead.Last Task Owner}} directly, you have to add a choice for each possible value.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Vikas_jaiswal
Level 2

Yes, you can achieve this using a single smart campaign in Marketo by leveraging the "Create Task" flow step and using dynamic tokens for the subject and comments. Here's a general outline of how you can set it up:

1. Smart List Criteria: Define your smart list criteria to include the leads and contacts you want to create tasks for. This might involve filters based on lead/contact attributes like status, score, or any other relevant data.

2. Create Task Flow Step: Integrate a "Create Task" flow step into your smart campaign. Although the subject of the tasks will be the same, you can still employ dynamic tokens for flexibility. However, since the subject remains constant, you can use a static value for simplicity.

3. Dynamic Tokens for Comments and Owners: Customize the comments using dynamic tokens. Utilize lead/contact fields like {{lead.First Name}}, {{lead.Last Name}}, or any other relevant data to personalize the comments. Similarly, ensure that the tasks are assigned to different owners by using tokens representing the owner's information.

4. Activation: Once you've set up your criteria and flow steps, activate the smart campaign to initiate task creation.

This refined strategy ensures that Marketo efficiently generates tasks for your specified leads and contacts with the same subject line but tailored comments and assigned owners, all managed within a single smart campaign.

Vikas Jaiswal
Nurture_Ninja
Level 4

Thank you for responding. Can you tell me a little bit more on this item?

3. Dynamic Tokens for Comments and Owners 

My comments are text comments. I'm struggling to understand how I can tell the smart campaign to attach a comments to a specific lead or contact record.

My smart list has a bunhc of email addresses. I want to attach 'Text comment1' to 'Email address1', 'Text comment2' to 'Email address2' and so on...

Also, how can I assign tasks to different owners? The Owner field on the Create Task flow, allows me to choose just one Sales Owner.

Nurture_Ninja
Level 4

I was able to achieve my goal by using different choice steps. While this approach works for what I'm seeking, it is time-consuming compared to automatically uploading multiple tasks with an AppExchange tool. However, it seems to be the only way to do it via Marketo. This method is not ideal for uploading hundreds of tasks, and I understand that this isn't one of Marketo's primary use cases.

SanfordWhiteman

P.S. One  more note for future lurkers: this will still not be a batch from the standpoint of the SFDC API. That is, it’s one API call per Task.

The difference is irrelevant in most cases, but complex SFDC triggers might choke on a high number of independent calls, while they could handle one big call containing a bunch of tasks.

SanfordWhiteman

The previous reply seems AI-generated and doesn’t shed light on your specific situation.

If you populate a custom text field (String/Textarea) using a list upload, you can include the corresponding {{lead.token}} in the Task Subject or Description. For example, the field Last Task Comment corresponds to the token {{lead.Last Task Comment}}.

However, this will not work for the owner, which is not a mere text field but a pointer to the SFDC Users object. Using a non-default owner requires that you use Add Choice. You can still key the change off a custom text field like Last Task Owner, but you can’t use the {{lead.Last Task Owner}} directly, you have to add a choice for each possible value.