Creating a template in design studio. All i see is HTML! HEEEEEELLLLLPP!

danelboston16
Level 1

Creating a template in design studio. All i see is HTML! HEEEEEELLLLLPP!

Hello! 

I'm trying to create a NEW e-mail template in Design Studio. When I get to the point where I start to drag and drop elements all I SEE IS HTML CODE! I cant find a new view to change it from the HTML view! What do I dooooo? I'm super new btw! 

2 REPLIES 2
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: Creating a template in design studio. All i see is HTML! HEEEEEELLLLLPP!

I'm not sure if we'd be help much w/o the template code and some snapshots to start with. For your reference, you'd write the HTML code for the template, approve it, and use it to create the email asset. In the email asset created from the template you would ideally add the required editable modules you'd have created in the template and edit them as per the email copy.

Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: Creating a template in design studio. All i see is HTML! HEEEEEELLLLLPP!

@danelboston16 ,

creating a template IS an HTML (plus some Marketo extensions) exercise.

creating an email FROM a template is a drag and drop exercise, as it uses the modules created in HTML in the template.

So, I guess the real question is:

are you trying to create a template from which you'll then create many emails, or are you trying to create an email?

If it is the former, you'll need to know HTML, CSS, some VML, and the Marketo extensions.  Alternatively, there are people you can hire to build templates.
If it is the latter, you should be creating an email, not an email template.

A point of confusion

I get this with a lot of my clients.  They hear the word 'template' and think it means an email that hasn't been sent, and hence personalised.  I have to explain to them that this is just an unsent email.  A template is the underlying code that many on brand/on message/on style emails can be created from.

Cheers

Jo