Re: Creating a simple quiz using forms / landing pages

David_Jackman1
Level 2

Creating a simple quiz using forms / landing pages

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a simple multiple choice quiz using radio buttons, directing the user to different "thank you" landing pages that will display their score on each page. I also want to be able to capture email address into our database in with the same page (which should not be an issue), however, I'm running into a wall. I know there are 3rd party quiz programs that can be integrated into Marketo, but just wanted to see options before considering a purchase. My attempt went like this:

1. Created form with the questions / answers as values.

2.  Created thank you pages with different percentage scores (100% correct, 50% correct, and on and on..)

3.  Created initial landing page where quiz is viewed, and added the form to the landing page.

4. Went into the form, went to form settings, settings..

5. Under Thank You Page settings, I hit "add choice" for which Thank You landing page to send the person to depending on what they clicked.

... However, here's where my problem lies. As the logic of a quiz would go, I wanted to send the user to different landing pages for each combination of answers they chose. Unless I'm not seeing something, it looks like that's not an option. You can keep hitting "add choice", but it only gives you the option to send the user to a different landing page for each answer rather than a combination of answers, if that makes sense?

... The other option I thought of was to create a campaign to do this, but realized you can't set up a flow to trigger landing page URLS.. or can you? And if so, how would I pull the values from the form to use as constraints? I read something about Javascript / Forms 2.0 / adding custom HTML to try and do this, but not sure if it's possible.

Thanks so much for anyone's help!

David

8 REPLIES 8
Chris_Johnston
Level 8

I think this seems like a very strange way to do this, but instead of trying to do the combination of answers, why not build in logic of a lead score (separate from you lead scores) and +1 for each correct answer and go to each thank you page based on the score?

Honestly no clue if this will work, I am not really thinking about it but it seemed like something you could try. I wouldn't recommend this approach. Way cleaner ways to build this out but why, when someone already has in launchpoint as you mention.

David_Jackman1
Level 2

Great, thank you so much for the helpful reply Chris.. I will look at giving that a shot and go from there.

Julie_Colwell1
Level 5

How many multiple choice questions do you have? Here is an idea for a workaround on the thank you page, you can keep it general like "your score is being generated, you'll recieve an email shortly", and instead just create multiple emails and smart campaigns to send them an email based on their answers.

From a UX perspective, I think a 3rd party option is a better option if you want to keep it all onscreen - I've looked into SnapApp in the past and its user friendly. I have used Ion Interactive before and to be honest the backend was clunky and learning curve was huge.

Hope that helps!

David_Jackman1
Level 2

Thanks for your insight Julie.. helpful for sure. I'm looking into Insight Quizzes right now for the ease of use and depth of options.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Calculating the score in JavaScript and passing that in a hidden field is comically easy. However, it would also be comically easy for someone to see the right answers by looking in the JS source, if that is a concern.

Flagging only the single set of 100% correct answers without revealing them to the lead in advance would also be simple. Add a hidden field with the current answers, say "AEDB."  Then match that in your Add Choice. However, if you have more than a couple of questions, it will not be reasonable to enter all the possible non-winning permutations (partially correct answers).

David_Jackman1
Level 2

Thanks Sanford. Our developer is going to do some java / html to try and test it for an email delivery rather than results page, which may be idea for us.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

But if you have to compute the score in JS, it doesn't make sense to send the results via email (you'll have the results immediately).  The only reason to wait and send via email is if the computation needs to be done elsewhere.

David_Jackman1
Level 2

Thanks Sanford- After a number of tests, we ended up deciding that a full-on Quiz/Poll SaaS solution would be the best strategy for us. We're trying out Interact Quizzes--a Marketo Launchpoint partner--with good results so far.

Appreciate everyone's guidance here!