SOLVED

Re: Creating a 2 part Zoom webinars - Option to register for either or both dates

Go to solution
MarieC
Level 2

Creating a 2 part Zoom webinars - Option to register for either or both dates

Hi, 

We have a 2-part webinar planned and users will have the option to register for one date or both dates. I understand that Marketo does not support recurring webinars from Zoom, so I would love your advice on how to set this up? 

The ideal user journey would be:

1. Sent registration email

2. Visit LP and chooses the dates they want to attend by filling the form 
2a. If chooses only one date - receive confirmation, reminders etc for that date only
2b. If chooses both dates - receive confirmation for both and reminders for both

Looking forward to hearing if anyone has built something similar in the past. 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Phillip_Wild
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: Creating a 2 part Zoom webinars - Option to register for either or both dates

This - but a few comments:

* If it's a two-part webinar, then shouldn't you focus on getting registrations for the first one, and then afterwards, register them for the second one? If the two webinars are related then why are people getting the option to register for one and not both? Of course you would mention that it's in two parts etc etc....but here I would consider auto-registering those who attended the first one, even.

* Don't forget you don't necessarily need that form fill to register people, given you already have their email address and likely first and last name. We have a button in the email of "register" and then use an email link clicked trigger to register people directly from that link click. The link takes them to the thank you page. Of course, if you need additional information you might still need the form fill.

* Highly recommend @SanfordWhiteman 's Agical calendar token generator, if you aren't using it already. https://blog.teknkl.com/introducing-agical-io-the-smarter-ics-file-generator/?marketo-nation. Much better than the Marketo built-in one!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Chris_Wilcox
Level 9

I have not done this, but this is what I WOULD do if I had this scenario to account for.

Default Program, two nested Event Programs, one for each date. Essentially, you build your two "normal" webinar programs, one for each date, and place them both in a Parent Default Program.  Then I'd use smart campaigns in the Default program to change the program status' in the children programs as appropriate based on the form fill and the person's choices for which date(s) they want to attend. 

I'm sure there are some details I'm not thinking of, but my initial though is what I just described. This keeps the whole thing together, but your metrics for invited/registered/attended are still unique to each webinar individually. 

Phillip_Wild

This - but a few comments:

* If it's a two-part webinar, then shouldn't you focus on getting registrations for the first one, and then afterwards, register them for the second one? If the two webinars are related then why are people getting the option to register for one and not both? Of course you would mention that it's in two parts etc etc....but here I would consider auto-registering those who attended the first one, even.

* Don't forget you don't necessarily need that form fill to register people, given you already have their email address and likely first and last name. We have a button in the email of "register" and then use an email link clicked trigger to register people directly from that link click. The link takes them to the thank you page. Of course, if you need additional information you might still need the form fill.

* Highly recommend @SanfordWhiteman 's Agical calendar token generator, if you aren't using it already. https://blog.teknkl.com/introducing-agical-io-the-smarter-ics-file-generator/?marketo-nation. Much better than the Marketo built-in one!

MarieC
Level 2

Thanks both! 

We wanted to give people the option to register for either or both as the 2 parts can be watched independently, but it seems it is not feasible using a Marketo form and receiving a confirmation email with the 2 calendar tokens for each sessions (if registered for both).

We have decided to create 2 webinars programmes under a default programme and register attendees for both. 

Thanks both for your help, very useful and much appreciated.

PS: Thanks for the Agical calendar token generator!

Chris_Wilcox
Level 9

One thing on this, I definitely would NOT use an email click as a trigger for an event registration. There is an astronomical amount of bot clicks happening on your emails each and every day, and you'd be registering those to your event. 

We use webpage views after the click (use GA UTMs to know which email they came from) to trigger things like this since (at least for us) web page views do not yet seem to be impacted by bot clicks at this point in time. 

Phillip_Wild

Hmmm, interesting! That makes sense, although I haven't seen that reflected in our data at this stage (or from customer feedback - since it would be obvious they registered via the autoresponder email, and they would be confused). But it's no harder to use "visits web page"....unless adblockers prevent that activity being registered sometimes? I'd hate for people not to be registered because the web visit isn't consistently tracked.

For the original post around "one email, two calendar reminders" this is certainly possible using Agical. So if that was the only hurdle to get over, then maybe next time one program would be simpler. You would simply have two "add to calendar" buttons, one for each timeslot, and link them to different Agical calendar generator links. 

MarieC
Level 2

Thanks for this. We have created a smart campaign with a trigger with everyone registering for Part 1 (i.e. filling in a form on the registration page) being added to Part 2 as registered. 

I will definitely look at Agical for next time we are in the same situation.

Thanks