SOLVED

Re: Create one global landing page with one global form AND content always changes

Go to solution
Demeter
Level 2

Create one global landing page with one global form AND content always changes

Not sure if what I'm trying to do is possible but @SanfordWhiteman usually has a solution.

I want to have 1 global "download" page for all content that we offer for download. Every mailer has new literature for download.

That means the download material always changes each time with different "topic titles".

(Being able to change "topic title" dynamically would be great but with 150+ topics, segmenting doesn't seem to be the answer, or is it somehow and I'm missing something)

Since each download is unique, and the page remains the same, I also need pass this unique identifier like "topic title" back in an "alert" email.

This will also be using a global form which will use progressive profiling, but, after we have all the data points, I'd like to display just the "download now" button (known person). Is this even possible using both pp and known person. What data points are used to qualify someone as a "known person"?

Example:

Person A gets email "1" goes to global download page. Completes PP form and downloads literature.

Person A gets next email "2" goes to same global download page (different topic) completes PP form and downloads literature.

Person A gets next email "3" goes to same global download page (different topic) and gets download button only with a message. (gate is now gone, we've captured the data points we desire)

Each time, the "topic title" needs to be unique on the global landing page and also that value also needs to pass to an alert email.

Snippets? Tokens? Segmentation? oh my

TIA - I'm sure I'll have more questions πŸ™‚

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Create one global landing page with one global form AND content always changes

Voila! Tested and works without flaw.

Ah, but it doesn’t work without flaw. When you use External URL even though the LP is in fact a Marketo LP, you must append the original aliId (read-after-write cache key) to the Thank You URL. Otherwise you get reduced functionality: the aliId is used to fill token values when the Munchkin cookie is still waiting to associate in the background. And you need JS to append the aliId! So I’d say you didn’t really find a code-free equivalent.

Now, to pass the topicTitle to the global guided LP so that it changes the Title in the HTML box, do I NEED JS or is there another method similar to the one I just showed? 

You must use JS to change content based on a query param. If you just wanted to output the query param value exactly as-is, you could use my simple way to output query param values in the page body. But if you’re going to map, say, topicTitle=apl to the content β€œApple Pie” you have to use a JS map of short/technical values to long/friendly values.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Looking at the requirements, it looks like you would not like to serve the same content on a page if a person has already filled out a form on the page to access the content. That would mean that you load the page based on the previously downloaded offers' serial/tag/identifier for a known user. One way you could do this is by querying a known person's field from the Marketo DB that'd have details about each of their page downloads (you may store page identifier tags in a concatenated form of text in the custom field) using their cookie. Of course, you'd need a setup in Marketo that'd append the page identifiers for people based on their form submit (append a field in Marketo with the data of a hidden form field that is populated with the page identifier each time a person makes a form submit), you can also use this hidden field's data to populate the content in your alert email.

Now, the viability of this approach from a performance standpoint is something that I'm not 100% sure about, and would therefore like other community members to weigh in and share their insights and/or, if possible, a more feasible solution for this requirement.

I think you'd need to have a bit of strategy and do some thinking around what information other than the basic info like - first name, last name, company, title, interest, etc. you'd like to have people fill in before you replace the form with the button on your page. The form fields should ideally align with your lead management framework so that the form submissions drive your scoring, revenue cycle model setup, and ensure that once a lead is passed over to the sales, they have got all the relevant info they'd need before starting to work on QLs.

SanfordWhiteman

Now, the viability of this approach from a performance standpoint is something that I'm not 100% sure about, and would therefore like other community members to weigh in and share their insights and/or, if possible, a more feasible solution for this requirement.

Performance is not a worry, it’s just a token. But I don’t think this is necessary β€” see my upcoming reply.

SanfordWhiteman

Doesn’t sound like you need KV HTML. Rather, put all your fields in the Progressive Profiling area, including a Rich Text Area as the last one. Then make sure the β€œNumber of empty fields” leaves the last stage with just Rich Text. (For example, 3 inputs, 3 inputs, and then the RTA.) You might need to put a couple of other empty RTAs above it for padding.

This assumes all your fields are marked Required.

Demeter
Level 2

Great! You were correct, all fields are required. I just tested the progressive profiling model you exampled and it worked accordingly.  I still need to tweak the rich text fields but that's easy enough. Thank you.

As for the "one global landing page" concept, with a different "topic title" and "download file" each time, would @Darshil_Shah1 logic be the best solution? The page is to be used with the global form. So I'd have to pass a variable to the page to identify the specific "topic title" that appears and which file to allow for download.

Since it's using one global form page, the "form defined" and "external url" options don't seem to be an option and creating an additional page for visitors to then click to get the download file seems counterproductive to eliminating MANY page creations we're trying to avoid.

This is also should not be dependent on previously "filled a form". Ideally, I'd like to be able to do something along the lines of:

Link in email: domain.com/landing-page.html?Topic-Title  -> directs to global landing page where the "topic title" is then populated and the "download content" associated with the "topic title" is the download they will receive whether they need to complete the form or we already have the data points and they get the download now button only.

Thoughts?

SanfordWhiteman

Great! You were correct, all fields are required. I just tested the progressive profiling model you exampled and it worked accordingly.  I still need to tweak the rich text fields but that's easy enough. Thank you.

Cool.

Link in email: domain.com/landing-page.html?Topic-Title  -> directs to global landing page where the "topic title" is then populated and the "download content" associated with the "topic title" is the download they will receive whether they need to complete the form or we already have the data points and they get the download now button only.

Thoughts?

In JS, you set up a mapping between topic titles and download URLs:

const topicTitleToAssetURL = {
  "apple" : "https://www.example.com/file1.pdf",
  "orange" : "https://www.example.com/file2.pdf"
};

Then switch the Thank You URL accordingly, using a custom onSuccess.

Demeter
Level 2

Thank you @SanfordWhiteman - Will give this a go today

Demeter
Level 2

Ok @SanfordWhiteman - without JS (noone here today to write it and I'm not the best), I was actually able to accomplish the unique download URL in another fashion. Thought it may be helpful for others who can't or don't have the resource/someone to write JS .

I have a hidden field on the form called "topicTitle"

Using "URL Builder" I created a custom URL with the topicTitle and passed it to the hidden field

Then, under "Thank You page" in the form settings,/settings section, "ADD CHOICE" which was set as:

If "field name" contains "topic title" (must be exact to what was used in URL Builder), Follow-up with "External URL" and put "pdf download link" in the URL field.

Now, to pass the topicTitle to the global guided LP so that it changes the Title in the HTML box, do I NEED JS or is there another method similar to the one I just showed? 

Thanks a million for all the insight already! Much appreciated

SanfordWhiteman

Ah, but it doesn’t work without flaw. When you use External URL even though the LP is in fact a Marketo LP, you must append the original aliId (read-after-write cache key) to the Thank You URL. Otherwise you get reduced functionality: the aliId is used to fill token values when the Munchkin cookie is still waiting to associate in the background. And you need JS to append the aliId! So I’d say you didn’t really find a code-free equivalent.

You must use JS to change content based on a query param. If you just wanted to output the query param value exactly as-is, you could use my simple way to output query param values in the page body. But if you’re going to map, say, topicTitle=apl to the content β€œApple Pie” you have to use a JS map of short/technical values to long/friendly values.

Demeter
Level 2

and this is why I like to bounce these thing off the almighty @SanfordWhiteman and others here with more technical savvy. I know what I WANT to do, just not always HOW best to accomplish it.

Much appreciation for the clarification. 

edit: Tried your "Simple Way" above and it worked perfectly for what I needed. Again, thank you!