Re: Create a Smart List Based on Activity Log & Activity Details

Kathi_Gosche
Level 4

Create a Smart List Based on Activity Log & Activity Details

Is there a way to create a smart list based on a leads activity log, or more specifically their activity details?

Currently I can create a smart list based on email bounces, but that doesn't show me the reason why it bounced. To find that info, I must manually visit each individual lead and click Activity Log, then click the on the specific activity to view its details. This is obviously time consuming and I would much rather create a smart list.

Something like this:

Email bounced filter with name of email & date sent. In the leads list view, display a column for activity details.

This would allow me to compare a large amount of data at once and help to identify patterns.

If anyone knows how to do this, or has a work around to do it, I would be most grateful for a response.

Thanks,

Kathi

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Kathi,

You have a Category, Sub Category and Details constraint on the email bounce and email bounced soft filters.

The only thing is that these are text fields, not picklists. You can use them with a "contains" operator, but you will need to type in what you are looking for, which supposes you know it.

-Greg

Kathi_Gosche
Level 4

Thanks for the suggestion Greg. I've done someone like this in the past, but I really want to be able to see the full message in the detail rather than just numbers per category.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Kathi

You could create a new view and include fields such as email bounced, bounced reason, email invalid, email invalid reason, etc.

Screen Shot 2015-11-06 at 7.29.26 am.png

If you also want to track which email it bounced from you'd need to set up a custom field (e.g. Email Bounced - email name) to track this, and then set up a smart campaign as follows:

Smart List

Email Bounced is any (trigger)

Email Bounced soft is any (trigger)

Flow Steps

Change Data value Email Bounced - email name is {{trigger.name}}

Change Data value Email Bounced Date is {{system.date}}

This will record the name and date of the last email that bounced and you can then also add that to the above lead view.

Hope that helps

Bronwen

Kathi_Gosche
Level 4

Hi Browen,

I thought of something like that too. But I really need the details, and so does my director.

For instance, I have pulled a smart list and found all the addressed that the email bounced from, (small list thankfully) which is a good start. The next question is why? When I click on one of my leads, click their activity history tab, then find and click the ID next to the bounce, it says "550 #5.1.0 Address rejected." which gives me a much better understanding. That's a lot of clicks to get to that snippet of info. I would have to repeat the process for every lead in the list and record the detail in a spreadsheet to identify a pattern. It seems there should be an easier way.

I would be willing to set up a campaign to grab the details and place them in a field if I knew how to grab them.

Kathi_Gosche
Level 4

I ended up opening a case with support and am disappointed to learn it's not currently possible to get to the action details without manually clicking each lead and reviewing their details one-by-one. Considering the details are present in the system, it seems this should be available. After all, the details provide far more information than just the bounce codes.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Kathi Gosche,

The alternative will be to use the API and extract the data to a whole list of leads. The Get Lead Activities » Marketo Developers  endpoint will enable you to extract the list of an activity type for a static list of leads.

-Greg

Kathi_Gosche
Level 4

Intersting! I will give this a try. Thanks Greg!