SOLVED

Correct way to mark someone inactive through the API?

Go to solution
Mike_Sprague
Level 1

Correct way to mark someone inactive through the API?

We are maintaining our lead database by syncing data between our data warehouse and Marketo using the API. What is the correct way to mark a lead as inactive and stop any emails from going to them. I don't want to delete the lead because it has history on it that we need for historical reporting.

For example, a person is deceased. I don't want email to go to them. Do I just set Person Record Status (personRecordStatus) to "inactive"?

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Correct way to mark someone inactive through the API?

There's no single answer for this that's going to apply to all instances.

You have to talk to your Marketo admin and ask what they use as a suppression list/field. While you could use the system fields Unsubscribed or Blacklisted those do not sound like they semantically fit your situation of a deceased person -- use your company's own rules.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman

There's no single answer for this that's going to apply to all instances.

You have to talk to your Marketo admin and ask what they use as a suppression list/field. While you could use the system fields Unsubscribed or Blacklisted those do not sound like they semantically fit your situation of a deceased person -- use your company's own rules.

Mike_Sprague
Level 1

I see. So, from a licensing perspective Marketo will continue to count these users as an active lead? I just have to have the admin make sure they use the right selection criteria for the smart list to exclude them?

SanfordWhiteman

So, from a licensing perspective Marketo will continue to count these users as an active lead?

Yes.

I just have to have the admin make sure they use the right selection criteria for the smart list to exclude them?

And yes.

Mike_Sprague
Level 1

Thank you!

SanfordWhiteman

Could you mark my answer as Correct, while you're here? Thanks.