Re: Cookie vs. Munchkin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cookie vs. Munchkin

What are the data points that the Marketo Cookie is responsible for versus the Marketo Munckin.

Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

What sort of information are you looking for, Melissa?  The cookie is just a unique identifier to a corresponding record in Marketo.  Munchkin uses this to send tracking data to the associated record in Marketo.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's a product doc that might here.  It's discussing known versus unknown leads and how they are cookied and identified.

Understanding Anonymous and Known Leads - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

Thanks!

Courtney

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I would think of Munchkin as the code that deposits the cookie. They are essentially the same thing for most purposes.

David_Peterson
Level 2

Josh, is it possible to query the leads that are cookied?  For instance, many of our leads never entered through a Marketo form, and presumably some of them have clicked on emails links and are therefore cookied.  I'd like to figure out who the cookied vs non-cookied leads are for a direct mail purl campaign. 

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Every browser user that hits a website running Munchkin is "cookied," so I wouldn't use that phrasing.

Your question may be whether the activities tracked by the current cookie are:

1. associated with a Anonymous lead (placeholder) in Marketo; or
  2. associated with a Named lead (record) in Marketo (a.k.a. "the corresponding lead record is now Known")

If you want to know how many Named leads have been tracked as they visited your site and/or clicked a link in a web page, just run a Smart List looking for those activities and ensure that Anonymous leads are excluded (on the Setup tab). 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Josh. What I am really trying to get to the root of is how can I be sure that the "Inferred" data values that populate by the Munchkin populate  every time? It's imperative as our routing rules depend on those data points.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I wouldn't say the Inferred values are "populated" by Munchkin exactly.  That is, Munchkin doesn't do the GEO-IP lookup itself.

Anyway, you can't be 100% sure that these values will be present. It's the nature of the beast with this type of "shallow effort" geolocation Better to give no answer than an answer that has a high probability of being wrong.

To increase accuracy/presence of location info, you might think about asking the user to allow their browser's built-in geolocation to be used as in the demo I posted here: How is 'Inferred Country' field set? While you probably won't get a lot of users accepting the prompt (unless you're doing food delivery or other hyperlocal stuff) for every lead that does accept you'll get great accuracy.