SOLVED

Re: Cookie Pop-up on Marketo Landing Pages - GDPR

Go to solution
Max_Maurier
Level 3 - Champion

Cookie Pop-up on Marketo Landing Pages - GDPR

Does anyone know if we're required to add a cookie notification pop-up to all Marketo landing pages like we do with our corporate websites?

If so, how?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Does anyone know if we're required to add a cookie notification pop-up to all Marketo landing pages like we do with our corporate websites?

Absolutely, if Munchkin is enabled (which it is by default).

If so, how?

Same way you do on your corp site.

Are you actually waiting for someone to opt-in before setting the Munchkin cookie on your corporate site?

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I would suggest that whatever you're deploying on your corporate site, you do the same for Marketo LPs - since LPs are usually an extension of your site.  Most cookie preference centers are pretty easy to deploy (using a service like OneTrust: https://onetrust.com/products/cookies/ ) - the most difficult part is the upfront configuration (scanning, grouping, etc.).  You can actually see how their service works by clicking on the "cookie settings" in the bottom banner.  Once you do a scan, you may be surprised at how many individual cookies are identified.

Max_Maurier
Level 3 - Champion

Thanks Dan, we're checking it out!

SanfordWhiteman

Absolutely, if Munchkin is enabled (which it is by default).

If so, how?

Same way you do on your corp site.

Are you actually waiting for someone to opt-in before setting the Munchkin cookie on your corporate site?

Max_Maurier
Level 3 - Champion

Hey Sanford,

Is it just a link to the privacy/cookie policy that's mandatory, or do we need an actual pop-up on every landing page?

I've never come across a Marketo landing page with a pop-up cookie notification.

-Max

SanfordWhiteman

Is it just a link to the privacy/cookie policy that's mandatory, or do we need an actual pop-up on every landing page?

I've never come across a Marketo landing page with a pop-up cookie notification.

There's no reason for an LP to be any/more less aware of cookie policies than a corporate site.

If the LP sets its own cookies (as it will by default) and is the first time someone visits your domain (as it would be if they've never hit your site organically) then it is your website.

Max_Maurier
Level 3 - Champion

Thanks Sanford! But I'm still unclear as to if a static message (ie. text underneath the form) is adequate, or if a pop-up message is required. I understand it's necessary to inform the visitor of the cookies on our Marketo sub-domains, but I'm less clear as to how it should be implemented.

I appreciate your time!

SanfordWhiteman

Thanks Sanford! But I'm still unclear as to if a static message (ie. text underneath the form) is adequate, or if a pop-up message is required.

Depends on your jurisdiction and I don't want to make a legal pronouncement.

However, "text underneath the form" doesn't make sense because the cookie is already set whether or not they fill out the form.

That's why cookie policies, whether or not the person was defaulted in, are typically highlighted in popups/overlays, because the disclosure applies to the site/page as a whole.

Max_Maurier
Level 3 - Champion

Sounds like we need to meet with our web team and transfer whatever code they use to our landing page templates.

Thanks Sanford!

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Maxwell,

on top of the 2 answers, it's mandatory, not because of the GDPR, because of all other cookie laws, in place roughly everywhere.

-Greg