SOLVED

Content Ai Doesn't Show if Browser has Tracking Disabled

Go to solution
Nikki_Aurelio
Level 3

Content Ai Doesn't Show if Browser has Tracking Disabled

I'm implementing Content Ai on my website via the Rich Media format, and we've realized that for the obvious reasons, the rich media predictive content will not show if a browser is set to "do not track."

Curious if anyone else with Content Ai has come up with any solutions/backups/defaults for when the RTP Javascript won't show because tracking is disabled?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Content Ai Doesn't Show if Browser has Tracking Disabled

Check for the global rtpRCMD variable when the document is ready:

if (!window.rtpRCMD) {

// rtp failed to load, do something else

}

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
SanfordWhiteman

Content AI is based on tracking. You can't contradict the end user's desire to not be tracked... it's unethical and possibly illegal.

It's the same as if someone has an anti-tracking plugin that lists Marketo (Munchkin) and you try to game your way around that.

Nikki_Aurelio
Level 3

Yes, I understand/agree why it works that way if the user doesn't want to be tracked.

My question is what people do on their website when the content ai rich media isn't displaying because of that, i.e. not having a blank space on the page.

JD_Nelson
Level 10 - Community Advisor

I've thought about injecting the contentAI code using RTP for people who know and otherwise defaulting to static code from our developers... haven't actually attempted it, and I'm not even sure it would work that way -- but ultimately if people turn it off, then they don't get to see it and it's their loss. I may be alone in thinking that, but this world can't accommodate everyone's wishes to remain anonymous without some sacrifices.

SanfordWhiteman

Check for the global rtpRCMD variable when the document is ready:

if (!window.rtpRCMD) {

// rtp failed to load, do something else

}

Nikki_Aurelio
Level 3

That makes sense! Thank you Sanford!

JD_Nelson

is there a setting to this where RTP didn't necessarily "fail" to load, it was simply suppressed by IP in the account settings?

Nikki_Aurelio
Level 3

Yes, if you select to Honor DNT (do not track browser settings) than the RTP will not load. It wasn't a "fail" on RTP, but we needed to set up a backup option that would show when the RTP does not load and is suppressed.

We're still tweaking, but I'll be sure to share the exact coding we used when final.

JD_Nelson

We are coding this right now too. so would “honor dnt“ be similar to suppressing by ip? And would there be a way to default it to show static code instead of rtp code?

we currently have dnt honored as well.