Emmanuelle_Biss
Level 5

Contains & Not Contains Together

Hi!

I am working on creating a Smart List with the following constraints:

Visits Web Page

Web Page: is any

Querystring: contains: utm_medium=social;

Querystring: not contains: utm_source=Facebook_Ads; utm_source=Twitter_Ads; utm_source=LinkedIn_Ads

Can we create a Smart List with two constraints that are opposite (contains & not contains) under the same trigger? Shall I create the filters with two triggers instead, such as:

Visits Web Page

Querystring: contains: utm_medium=social;

Visits Web Page

Querystring: not contains: utm_source=Facebook_Ads; utm_source=Twitter_Ads; utm_source=LinkedIn_Ads

Thanks for your help!

Emma

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Contains & Not Contains Together

If we are talking about triggers, Alok is right.

What you could do is:

Trigger: Visits Web Page CONTAINS X

Filter: Visited Web Page NOT CONTAINS Y

test it to see if it works.

In general, it is always better to make a positive statement than a negative one.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Alok_Ramsisaria
Level 10

Hi Emma Its always better to keep the triggers separate if you are using Contains and Not contains. Same should be done for Is and Is Not.

Emmanuelle_Biss
Level 5

Hi Alok,

Thanks for your quick reply. Alright, sounds good. So we can use twice the same trigger, with specific constraints for each, even when they are opposite. However, each constraint needs to be respected for the lead to be qualified then, right? It is an AND and not an OR that's taking place here.

Thanks for your help!

Emma

Josh_Hill13

No, if you use two triggers, it will not fire the way you want it to.

Josh_Hill13

If we are talking about triggers, Alok is right.

What you could do is:

Trigger: Visits Web Page CONTAINS X

Filter: Visited Web Page NOT CONTAINS Y

test it to see if it works.

In general, it is always better to make a positive statement than a negative one.

Emmanuelle_Biss
Level 5

Hey Josh,

What I am trying to do, is separate my Social visitors from my Social Ads visitors. I have created two Smart List to differentiate one from the other.

Here's what I have:

Social Media Visitors:

Visits Web Page

Querystring: contains: utm_medium=Social; utm_medium=SocialMedia

Referrer: contains: facebook; twitter; hootsuite, etc.

Visits Web Page

Querystring: not contains: utm_medium=SocialAds; utm_source=Facebook_Ads; utm_source=Linkedin_Ads; utm_source=Twitter_Ads

Social Ads Visitors:

Visits Web Page

Querystring: contains: utm_source=Facebook_Ads; utm_source=Linkedin_Ads; utm_source=Twitter_Ads

Referrer: contains: facebook; twitter; hootsuite, etc.

Visits Web Page

Querystring: contains: utm_medium=Social; utm_medium=SocialMedia; utm_medium=SocialAds

By creating these two lists this way, will this make sure the two audiences are clearly defined?

Thanks!

Grant_Booth
Level 10

Using two triggers will not accomplish what you're looking for. The problem is that triggers will always use OR logic. If you have multiple triggers, then ANY of them can set off the campaign. Josh's solution comes close, but the problem is that you want this to apply to any web page, not just a specific one, so the filter could be qualifying someone who visited a different page with correct query string than the page which triggered it. I'm not certain I can come up with a relatively simple solution for this.

Emmanuelle_Biss
Level 5

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your feedback. So I guess, the only way to set up the Smart List correctly is to add a trigger along with a filter to remove any non-wanted traffic, since I want these two to be an AND instead of an OR.

I'll try that instead.

Thank you all

Emma