Re: Contacts being duplicated after CSV file upload

Minna_Pacanowsk
Level 2

Contacts being duplicated after CSV file upload

We have noticed that contacts are duplicated in Marketo and SF when we upload a CSV list of contacts to invite to an event.

Some of the contacts will already be in our database (both in SF and Marketo), however, Marketo will sometimes duplicate the contacts which then leads to a duplicate also being created in SF.

Is there a way to prevent this from happening going forward, so that existing contacts are not duplicated?

7 REPLIES 7
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

To be clear: do you mean multiple Marketo persons with the same email address? It's important to know exactly what you mean by "duplicate."

Minna_Pacanowsk
Level 2

Same person, with the same email address

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Are you positive that the email address does not have leading or trailing spaces in the CSV for the affected people?

Grant_Booth
Level 10

Are you uploading them in Marketo or SFDC?
Can you find any pattern to when a duplicate is created? For example - maybe it's not created when the first name is the same but is created if it's different? I would also double-check that this isn't due to a permissions issue in SFDC. If Marketo doesn't have access to an existing record in SFDC, it won't sync down and it will create a new one.

Minna_Pacanowsk
Level 2

Uploading them in Marketo via a CSV file. Thanks for your response.

How can I check the permissions settings. I think that might be it!

Grant_Booth
Level 10

Find an example where a duplicate was created, and then log into SFDC with the mkto sync user's credentials and try to look at the records. To go directly to the record you can copy and paste the SFDC ID from the lead detail in Marketo directly into the URL in SFDC.

Minna_Pacanowsk
Level 2

Thanks for the suggestions – yes, have checked the file, no spaces/extra characters..