Our SFDC Contacts are synced with MKTO. When a visitor fills out a form on our website, a new Lead is created (which is what we want); however, if that email address is already associated with a Contact in SFDC, fields in the Contact record are getting updated instead of in the new Lead record. So the new Lead hits our Inquiry Queue, but the pertinent details (Lead Source, Description, Campaign, etc.) are missing b/c they are being updated in the Contact record.
How can we ensure that the info passes into the Lead record?
This really doesn't directly answer your question, Susan, but wanted to throw this out here for you to see how others deal with this similar situation:
First, here's our integrated sales and marketing funnel:
Here is our Revenue Cycle Model in Marketo (that's based on our lead lifecycle above):
And here's an overview of our lead assignment, routing and qualification workflow:
To give you an idea of the complexity of our lead lifecycle workflows, here are the smart campaigns built to support it (some of these have a large number of triggers, filters and flow steps). We continue to optimize these over time - for example, we have setup specific routing/alert smart campaigns (LL Operational) - since this, alone, is complex in that everything is country based and have marketers assigned by country - that are requested by a number of the main smart campaigns.
As you know, if a CONTACT already exists in CRM (which exists as a lead record in Marketo), you cannot sync this over as a CRM LEAD record (if only that were the case, it would make our lives so much easier). We often sell into existing accounts, so we had to come up with a solution that would allow this. A couple years ago, we deployed a purposeful duplicates process:
Today, we are in the process of re-architecting the purposeful duplicate workflows. We will be taking advantage of the custom sync capabilities of the Marketo CRM plug-in. In a nutshell:
The main advantages to this are that it lets us retain our existing lead lifecycle processes, it prevents having massive duplicates in Marketo, and it still lets us create leads for the sales team to follow up on with minimal risk of missing reporting data while we wait for sales to work the lead. Most importantly, we are back using a "single record of truth" approach!
This information is great! So a few questions for you as I was reading this (that you can hopefully answer or share some documents on best practices):
1. When a lead/contact switches to MQL, do you monitor the length of time between qualification and when sales reaches out? And do you have rules/best practices set up to make sure the marketing and sales organizations are on the same page with those expectations?
2. Do you have any automation setup to monitor when that first sales contact happens? I.e. If sales doesn't log an activity within x days (the anticipated contact timeframe) send a notification to sales there hasn't been follow up yet?
3. Do you have any other insights on best practices between sales and marketing to assure that qualified leads are followed up on, as well as sales providing some transparency on the quality of marketing leads that come through?
Hi Alayna - in response to your questions:
If I'm understanding this correctly, you're saying that:
1. An existing contact exists in Marketo/SFDC
2. A new lead is created in Marketo via form fill (now there is a lead and a contact with the same email address)
3. The information for that new lead is getting updated onto the contact
This to me seems fishy.
Can you clarify more on how this happens: "if that email address is already associated with a Contact in SFDC, fields in the Contact record are getting updated instead of in the new Lead record"
A lead can't fill out a form and be created as a new lead and then also have that data populated into a different existing record (unless a merge happens) instead of the new lead record.
How are you populating Lead Source, Description, Campaign etc.? Are you using campaigns? What record (lead/contact) is qualifying for that campaign? Are we sure there is no merge happening here?