SOLVED

Re: Click tracking

Go to solution
Mark_Wallace1
Level 4

Click tracking

Hello All,

I have an abm going to a specific company.  It seems the opens are tracking but clicks are not.  Im just wondering how one would work and the other not? I appreciate tracking issues continue to get worse and more complex, but how can a link not be tracked yet the link location is showing views?

Im trying to pinpoint and explain what and where the issue is? Anyone else seen this?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Well, if you've click link tracking disabled on links (or have added them incorrectly), you'd not see click activities in Marketo, but you'd still see email opens activities though!

Following are the ways that I could think of that may be causing click activities on the email links to not get logged in Marketo --

- Using tokens for links and having protocol (http:// https://) inside the token value instead of adding it outside while adding the link in an email. The email parser needs the protocol outside of the token in order to know to build the token before decorating all the links with tracking parameters. Check out this experience league product doc page

- If you're using velocity to populate the links, you should output the entire anchor tag (i.e., <a> through </a>) from the velocity token (with of course, protocol added separately in the anchor tag, and not including it as a part of a velocity variable). Tracking may also be impacted if you're using the same velocity variable to output multiple links.

- If you disable tracking via the UI in the Insert Link dialog, or include "mktNoTrack" class in the <a> tag in the HTML.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Darshil_Shah1

Well, if you've click link tracking disabled on links (or have added them incorrectly), you'd not see click activities in Marketo, but you'd still see email opens activities though!

Following are the ways that I could think of that may be causing click activities on the email links to not get logged in Marketo --

- Using tokens for links and having protocol (http:// https://) inside the token value instead of adding it outside while adding the link in an email. The email parser needs the protocol outside of the token in order to know to build the token before decorating all the links with tracking parameters. Check out this experience league product doc page

- If you're using velocity to populate the links, you should output the entire anchor tag (i.e., <a> through </a>) from the velocity token (with of course, protocol added separately in the anchor tag, and not including it as a part of a velocity variable). Tracking may also be impacted if you're using the same velocity variable to output multiple links.

- If you disable tracking via the UI in the Insert Link dialog, or include "mktNoTrack" class in the <a> tag in the HTML.

Mark_Wallace1
Level 4

Hello,

Its a simple link and nothing has been done to disable tracking so all standard stuff.

Its an email send to a specific customer, so many emails (less than 100 each time) to a single company. If I test send to myself the links are tracked.

Im wondering whats happening at the point of delivery that allows the open to record but somehow stops the link being tracked. The email is linked to a unique page and that is recording visits.

I need to explain to those above why marketo hasnt recorded any clicks.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

Darshil_Shah1

Marketo rewrites the tracked link in an email to go to the email tracking server for logging the email click activity when a recipient clicks it before navigating them to the actual webpage. Ideally, any click activity on a valid tracked link in an email should get logged in the person activity log. Did you receive any complaints from your recipients about the link being broken? And, do you know for sure that the recipients are clicking the email link to land on the page? There could also be a case where-in Munchkin-associated people are visiting the webpage not from the email CTA, but from other sources.