Click link, add to list

Anonymous
Not applicable

Click link, add to list

I have a program where I am sending out an email for people to be notified in the future about upcoming courses. In this email I am looking to capture each person who click the link to get notified by course A. This goes for the rest of the upcoming courses A through D. So far I have created Smart Lists which states: Clicks Link in Email- Email name and Link is - the link to the landing page that says thank you for inquiring about course A, you will be notified once the course is available. In the flow step - Add to List - If - Clicked Link in Email - is - landing page link - List Name - Reminder (Course A)

I have created a Smart List for each course.

My question is if someone clicks on multiple landing pages for different courses will they all be placed in the list that have clicked. So if Guy 1 Click Course A, B, D will his name appear in all lists?

11 REPLIES 11
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Click link, add to list

Jason, can you move this to Products​ first? Central is for general mktg topics.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Yes they will, if I understand well your explanations

If you could provide screenshots of your various smart campaigns smart lists and flow steps, we would be able to make sure.

-Greg

Rachit_Puri2
Level 7

Like Greg mentioned, the lead which clicked Course A, B, D will show up in all the different smart lists. You will have to decide whether you want to send them notification emails for all the courses which the clicked or just any specific one. From your explanation, it appears that you have not used any form on the landing page where the user can confirm his interest. Is that right? If so, I would recommend putting up a form with a single button that says, Yes, I am Interested. That might help in better conversion.    

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Still should move this to Products​ to maintain the focus of each Community space.

Long as others are answering here, though, I'd add that actioning a Clicked Email as an "instant form submit" is problematic for technical reasons. Mail security scanners that pre-follow all your links will lead to false positives, and in turn to unwanted emails.I would follow Rachit's advice and host a real form with a confirmation button.

Eric_Salamon1
Level 6

Yes they will be added to all the lists, but if you want you can say if A&B&D prevent from flow and add it to an A&B&D targeted list the catch with that is that there will be at least 24 different possible combinations of 3 and 12 combinations of 2 so you will need to account for an additional 36 lists.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Eric,

I am not sure I am fully understanding how I would need 36 lists. Maybe I did not explain my question well enough.

Lets say I have 3 courses people can be notified for. They click on the button that say "Notify Me" and then they are driven to a landing page that says "thank you we will contact you via email once the course is available". My question is: will there be any issues if someone click on course A button and Course B button to get notified when the course is available? Just a reminder there is no form rather just a button linked to a landing page

Eric_Salamon1
Level 6

Sorry I wasn't clear either.

If person clicked link A,B&D and were added to list A,B &D they would receive all the information on each of the flows associated with the list, but if you wanted to prevent that then you could set rules.

For example: if clicked ABD add to ABD list, but if clicked AB then add to AB list, those lists would have combined segments also given that there are 4 values that could exist the and each combination would be 1 value less because you can only use each value 1 times the number of list combinations would be (4*3*2)+(4*3)=36 and if you add the original 4 lists that leads to a grand total of 40.

But this would only be the case if you wanted to prevent the system from bombarding them with emails.

I wonder if you could use a velocity script if member of AB only send email A but add content (module)BD to email?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand what you are suggesting. But I do not know if that applies for this since each course (A,B,D) all have separate notification buttons that are driven to separate lists (List for course A, List for course b, List for course D). So if Person 1 clicks course A the user is sent to List A. But they can also click Course B and be placed in List B. At the end of the day, Person 1 will be in list A and B then receive 2 emails stating that course A and B is available.

Is this best practice?  

Eric_Salamon1
Level 6

I'm not sure, but trying to reduce the number of emails sent is usually a good thing to do.